The New Ideas Festival is a juried, three-week festival of new writing, works-in-progress and experimental theatre, with a new program of plays each week. We have invited playwrights and other theatre artists to submit original one-act scripts or project outlines to the Alumnae Theatre Company for production March 5 – 22, 2008.
Each week for three weeks we produce a new line-up of plays, with performances running Wednesday through Saturday (including a Saturday matinee). In addition, we also showcase one staged reading each Saturday at noon. Scripts have been chosen for either the fully-staged run during the week, or for one staged reading. We are encouraging actors of all age ranges and ethnicities to attend these auditions. The New Ideas Festival:
- Began in 1989 as one of the few juried theatre festivals in Toronto.
- Encourages playwrights to stay involved in the project throughout the rehearsal process
- Is part of the Alumnae Theatre, a not-for-profit and non-union company, which actively encourages diversity in its casting and membership.
- Is focused on development and community. It does not charge entry fees to participants, or pay fees, royalties or a box office share to participants.
- Provides dramaturgical support to assist in script development.
- Provides Directors, Stage Managers, technical and front of house staff with rehearsal space and publicity.
- Offers regular opportunities for playwrights to connect with other playwrights.
Alumnae Theatre Company will retain creative discretion over the festival as a whole.
All actors must:
- Be available for auditions January 3, 4, 5 and 6, 2008. Callbacks are scheduled for the week of January 7.
- Not be a member of CAEA or ACTRA, as the Alumnae is a non-professional company. Union involvement is reserved for members in good standing.
- Bring a hard copy of your resume and headshot.
- Prepare one contemporary monologue, maximum 2 minutes long.
- Follow all production guidelines established by the New Ideas Festival.
- Be available for rehearsals beginning January 21, 2008.
Please note: Some plays are as short as 10 minutes, others as long as 45, so the length of time required to rehearse will vary.
To book your audition:
Contact Razie Brownstone – 416-538-9886
Send a resume and headshot to:
New Ideas Festival – Auditions
70 Berkeley Street, Toronto, ON. M5A 2W6
Please specify your age range using the following categories:
Under 20 30-34 45-50
20-24 35-39 50-54
25-29 40-44 55 and over
We must receive your resume, headshot and age range by DECEMBER 26, 2007.
For further information, please go to our website at www.alumnaetheatre.com.