LORRAINE KIMSA THEATRE FOR YOUNG PEOPLE, (formerly Young Peoples Theatre) is the largest Theatre for Young Audiences (TYA) company in Canada. LKTYP is an integral institution in the Canadian professional theatre community. Over 41 years, we have produced many of the most significant works that now form the canon of plays for young audiences in this country. We are also renowned as the showplace for important TYA work developed elsewhere. In addition to being a producer and presenter of theatre, LKTYP is also the home of a year-round Drama School for youth. At the center of LKTYP’s artistic policy is a desire for children to be imprinted with experiences that will increase their access to the world and to their own developing identities. We create theatre to have a positive and lasting impact on the emotional, social, and intellectual development of young people. At LKTYP we believe that the more challenging, the more hostile, the more isolated within-the-crowd our world becomes, the more we need art to help us interpret the universe, connect with each other, and imagine a better future. If adults need this, kids need it more.LKTYP is currently seeking an outstanding candidate for the full-time position of Drama School Coordinator. Reporting directly to the Director of Education & Participation, the Drama School Coordinator is the principal manager and leader of our regular theatre arts education classes which introduces kids and youth to theatre and facilitates the development and practice of positive social skills.
To manage, lead and implement the 39-year old Drama School and its ancillary activities including:
- Planning, implementing and assessing all Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer Drama School programming at Downtown, North York and Etobicoke sites, in collaboration with the Director of Education & Participation.
- Coordinating an innovative arts education curriculum with vision, integrity and expertise.
- Marketing the Drama School in tandem with the Directors of Marketing and of Education & Participation, while acting as its principal public face.
- Scheduling, contracting, training, supervising and acting as a resource to the Drama School Staff.
- Providing leadership and management to the Drama School’s efforts to reduce barriers to the accessibility of LKTYP’s programmes and activities through its extensive scholarship opportunities.
- Working to ensure appropriate access and accommodation to students with a variety of physical, psychological, linguistic and social capacities.
- Managing the Drama School Budget in tandem with the Director of Education & Participation.
- Supervising and developing the Drama School curriculum in collaboration with the Director of Education, the Educational Services Coordinator and LKTYP Arts Education Facilitators and Teachers.
- Managing the maintenance and expansion of LKTYP’s Skill Development Workshops.
- Collaborating with, and supporting, other Education & Participation activities as directed by the Director of Education & Participation.
- 5 years professional experience in diverse, community-based arts-education with an emphasis on theatre school or arts education administration.
- 5 years proven ability to create and execute meaningful arts-education programming emphasizing theatre as a facilitator and manager.
- Substantial experience serving the needs of, and working with, children, youth and the people who care for them.
- Ability to work with volunteers who have varying levels of experience and goals.
- Experience with resource, project and budget management.
- Computer literacy: MS Excel, Word, database management.
- Multi-lingual applicants strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should respond in writing with salary expectations by
Friday, April 25, 2008 to:
Drama School Coordinator Search, LKTYP,
165 Front Street East, Toronto, ON M5A 3Z4 or to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications by fax will not be accepted. Only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.