LORRAINE KIMSA THEATRE FOR YOUNG PEOPLE (formerly Young Peoples Theatre) is the largest Theatre for Young Audiences (TYA) company in Canada and a significant institution in the Canadian professional theatre community. Over our 42-year history we have produced many of the most important works that now form the canon of plays for young audiences in this country. Learning is at the centre of everything we do and LKTYP is renowned as the showplace for presenting important TYA work developed elsewhere. In addition to being a producer and presenter of theatre, LKTYP has also been home to a year-round Drama School for youth since 1969.
LKTYP is currently searching for a candidate to fill the temporary position of Acting Head Electrician from October 6th, 2008 to May 24th, 2009. Reporting to the Production Manager and the Technical Director, the Acting Head Electrician will work to ensure that all lighting requirements for the productions and facilities are met and maintained.
- In consultation with the Technical Director, the analysis of the lighting plots for LKTYP productions, and the organization of material and labour requirements to facilitate the hang and focus of the lighting plot
- Supervision and co-ordination of the lighting hang and focus, and strike sessions for LKTYP productions
- Instruction of other employees in proper work procedures and the use of safety equipment while working at height, either on ladders, personnel lifts or in the theatre catwalks
- Maintenance and integrity of the lighting design after opening night until the closing performance
- Maintainance of LKTYP lighting equipment in both the Mainstage and Studio performance spaces
- Assistance to other LKTYP production departments with advice and technical aid when requested
- A BFA Diploma or College Certificate from a credited theatre training program or 5 years equivalent experience
- Knowledge of the programming and cueing of the Strand 530 console and an ETC 24/48 console
- A thorough understanding and working knowledge of DMX control and universes including but not limited to scrollers, I-cue mirrors, gobo rotators and other electrical effects
- Ability to organize lighting design plots for the implementation of hangs, focus and technical rehearsals
- A good knowledge of wiring and electrical repair is essential
- A good team player with a great sense of humor, the ability to adapt and improvise, and a willingness to learn
- Child development through theatre is the primary vision at LKTYP, and therefore, all employees will be called upon from time to time, to share their knowledge and demonstrate their skill to others
Interested candidates should respond in writing with salary expectations by August 12th, 2008 to:
Acting Head Electrician Search, LKTYP,
165 Front Street East, Toronto, ON M5A 3Z4
or to: email@example.com
Applications by fax will not be accepted.
Due to time constraints, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.