Position Type: Full Time Location: Toronto – Liberty Village
Artscape is a 22-year creative urban development group that develops and manages creative places and spaces. The group operates as a social enterprise and is comprised of 3 not-for-profit organizations: a development arm, a charity, and a housing provider. Artscape currently operates 6 multi-tenant creative complexes in and has 12 others in development. While its property development work is focused in Toronto, Artscape shares its knowledge with cities and communities around the world through workshops, conferences, speaking appearances and a consulting practice.
In Toronto, Artscape has been a leader and catalyst in a wide range of major revitalization projects including Queen Street West, Liberty Village, and The Distillery Historic District. Recently, Artscape released a five year plan which addresses the space and place-related needs of the creative sector. Vision 2011 aims to make Artscape a major player in city-building and solidify its position as a global leader in culture-led regeneration.
The Vice President of Operations is a new senior management position reporting to the President and CEO. The VP will oversee Artscape’s finances, human resources, administration, and selected programs and services. Responsibilities will be wide ranging from business planning and negotiating creative financing deals to developing strategies to improve operational effectiveness and monitoring financial performance.
The successful candidate will be an accomplished senior manager with a minimum 10 years professional experience in financial management and organizational development. He or she will have a creative and entrepreneurial outlook. Demonstrated success in delivering consistently high quality, innovative projects in a timely, financially responsible and strategically sound manner is essential. A proven ability to organize, multi-task, set priorities, meet deadlines and work under pressure of time constraints will be key. A background in the arts and/or not-for-profit sector is a definite asset.
- Oversee the management of the finance department, Gibraltar Point Lodge and Retreat services, event services, contract management, IT and legal affairs
- Negotiate innovative financing schemes, partnerships, and development models
- Oversee human resource policy and management
- Develop systems, strategies, and policies that contribute to the overall management of Artscape
- Contribute to the successful realization of Artscape strategic plan goals and objectives related to finance and operational effectiveness
- Contribute to the planning of and implement business development strategies
- Contribute to consulting projects, government relations, knowledge exchange programs, operating grant application preparation and reporting, and the work of Artscape Foundation
- Steward relationships with a wide range of partners, financial institutions , governments, board members, clients, sponsors, donors, and media representatives
- Minimum 10 years experience in a senior management position
- Creative and entrepreneurial outlook
- Solid track record in financial management and understanding of financing models and instruments, particularly with respect to real estate development
- Excellent interpersonal, management and organizational skills
- Strong, conceptual, strategic, analytical and negotiating skills
- Ability to independently trouble shoot and solve problems in a fast paced, results oriented environment
- Excellent judgment, good common sense
- Goal oriented with high standards and focus
- Ability to develop and maintain established protocol and processes
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills and computer literacy
- A post-graduate degree in finance or MBA would be considered a major asset
For more information on Artscape, visit www.torontoartscape.on.ca. The Vision 2011 document will be of particular interest.
Deadline for Applications: August 13, 2008 by 12:00 noon.
Salary is negotiable commensurate with experience. Artscape offers an employee health benefit package.
Please respond with a cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience you would bring to position and a resume. In addition, please provide detailed contact information for two professional references.
Applications will be received in confidence by mail, courier or email only and should be forwarded to:
Executive Assistant to CEO
Suite 224, 171 East Liberty Street
Toronto, ON M6K 3P6
No phone calls please. Artscape thanks all applicants however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted directly.
Artscape is an equal opportunity employer. The organization is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all its work. We work proactively to be fair and equitable in practice and to build diversity into our teams, creative communities, programs and services.