Alameda Theatre Company invites submissions from established and emerging playwrights for the 2nd annual Latin Canadian playwright’s festival: THE 2009 DE COLORES FESTIVAL OF NEW WORKS.
The festival will focus on providing developmental support for works in progress by pairing the chosen playwrights with professional dramaturgs from Toronto’s theatre community. This year’s festival dramaturgs are Stephen Colella, Dramaturg at Lorraine Kimsa Theatre for Young People and Erica Kopyto, dramaturg working with PEN Canada/ARC Fest and the Writers in Exile program.
Our mandate is to provide opportunities to Latin Canadian theatre artists and playwrights and to build audiences for their work. Our goal is for Latin American arts and artists to be embraced by a broad Canadian community that is aware of, understands and respects the Latin-American Canadian experience.
Scripts selected for the 2009 De Colores Festival of New Works will receive dramaturgical support and a workshop period that will culminate in a staged reading in April 2009. Work in the festival will automatically be short-listed for production in our upcoming seasons. Selected playwrights will be contacted by November 2008.
Deadline for submissions: September 30, 2008
- Scripts must be, original, un-produced works. They can be full length plays (120 minutes +), works-in-progress or ideas (which must be accompanied by writing samples in order to be accepted.)
- Playwrights must be citizens or landed immigrants of Canada
- We will NOT accept more than one submission per playwright
- All themes are encouraged. Plays need not have specific Latin American themes or characters, but playwrights must be of Latin American origin, as the goal with this festival is to develop Latin American voices in Canada. (Even if you do not speak any Spanish, if you identify yourself as Latin American, Hispanic, Latino, or a mix of these, we encourage your submission.)
- Cast size should preferably be no more than for 5 actors
- All plays must be in English OR translated into English before the start of the festival
- Please include a one-page synopsis with the theme, plot, length of play, character breakdowns and any doubling possibilities
- Please also include a title page, with playwright’s name, name of play and contact information
- Submissions must be in hard copy only (emails will NOT be accepted), typed or word-processed, double sided if possible (save trees), loose page and minimum 11-point font on white paper. All pages must be numbered with the title of the play on each page
- Please do not submit original copies. If you wish to have your scripts returned, please include a SASE with the correct postage.
Playwrights whose scripts are selected are encouraged to attend the festival in April. An honorarium will be provided to writers, however travel is the responsibility of the artist.
Please submit scripts to:
2009 De Colores Festival of New Works
ALAMEDA THEATRE COMPANY
392 Winona Dr.
For more information regarding the 2009 De Colores Festival of New Works please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (416) 428-7638.
About Alameda Theatre Company
Alameda Theatre Company is Canada’s premiere professional Latin Canadian theatre company, providing opportunities for Latin Canadian theatre artists and playwrights and building audiences for their work.
We envision that Latin American arts and artists will be embraced by a broad Canadian community that is aware of, understands and respects the Latin-American Canadian experience.
Values: Equality, Respect, Solidarity, Responsibility and Integrity