The Canadian Stage Company is now accepting applications for the (volunteer) position of ARTISTIC RESEARCH VOLUNTEER INTERN. Based in Toronto, Canadian Stage Company produces, develops, and exports the best in international contemporary theatre and is Canada’s largest contemporary theatre company. Reporting to the Associate Director of Artistic and Audience Development, this Intern position is an excellent opportunity to gain knowledge of professional theatre projects, productions and companies locally, nationally and internationally. We are looking for a dynamic individual with a passion for professional theatre and exceptional organizational skills looking to increase their understanding of the international theatre network and producing process.
- Researching productions, projects in development and artists locally, nationally and internationally
- Assisting with the implementation and management of research and communications systems
- Liaising with artistic and producing staff and artists on projects of interest
- Assisting with research and communications for artistic development initiatives
The Intern will have opportunities to attend artistic and producing meetings, programs and events, have access to the script and literary resources, and where appropriate, have opportunities to develop management and leadership skills in the implementation of new initiatives.
Start Date: October 15, 2008 – End Date: February 15, 2008. The Canadian Stage Company Artistic Research Intern must commit to 10 – 15 hrs per week. Schedule can be flexible and some hours can be done off-site.
- Passion for professional theatre and strong knowledge of local, national and international professional theatre companies
- Excellent research, information management, analysis and communication skills
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills
- Previous office experience recommended
- Ability to work well individually and as part of a team
- Self-starter. Full training will be provided but in some cases successful candidate will be asked to work independently on assigned projects
- High computer proficiency (MS Word & Excel experience preferred, e-mail and internet)
- Being enrolled in a course of study that involves interning at an arts organization is considered an asset but not required.
In addition to the many benefits of The Canadian Stage Company’s Intern Program which includes information sessions with staff members of their choice, the successful candidate will also be assisted in setting up meetings with artists or administrators who are associated with the company. The intern will also receive free tickets to Canadian Stage productions and will be invited to readings, workshops and meetings.
We strive to make our intern positions as valuable an experience as possible. Please submit cover letter, résumé and 3 (phone) references by October 1, 2008 by email only, (attach documents in Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat).
Attention: ARTISTIC RESEARCH Intern , The Canadian Stage Company, Bob McCarthy, Manager of Volunteers and Interns, email (only) :firstname.lastname@example.org
The Canadian Stage Company is an equal opportunity employer. www.canstage.com