Alumnae Theatre Company’s New Ideas Festival
CALL FOR DIRECTORS
The New Ideas Festival is a juried, three-week festival of new writing, works-in-progress and experimental theatre, with a new program of plays each week, and a staged reading on Saturdays at noon. It runs from March 11 – 28, 2009.
We are seeking directors — new and experienced — to join us in the development of new Canadian theatre. The plays have a running time of between five and forty-five minutes, and rehearsals typically start in late January/early February for a March run. It’s an excellent and exciting opportunity to work one-on-one with a playwright, and to work in the beautiful Studio Theatre at Alumnae.
The New Ideas Festival:
- Began in 1989 as one of the few juried theatre festivals in Toronto.
- Encourages playwrights to stay involved in the project throughout the rehearsal process.
- Is part of the Alumnae Theatre, a not-for-profit and non-union company, which actively encourages diversity in its casting and membership.
- Is focused on development and community. It does not charge entry fees to participants, or pay fees, royalties or a box office share to participants.
- Provides dramaturgical support to assist in script development.
- Provides Directors, Stage Managers, technical and front of house staff with rehearsal space and publicity.
Alumnae Theatre Company retains creative discretion over the festival as a whole.
- Not be a member of CAEA or ACTRA, as the Alumnae is a non-professional company. Cast and crew lists are submitted to both unions for review. Union involvement is reserved for members in good standing.
- Follow all production guidelines established by the New Ideas Festival.
- Be prepared to develop the project/script through the collaborative and dramaturgical process that New Ideas is designed to offer.
- Keep technical requirements of the project to a minimum: the focus will be on script development, not production values. The Festival provides only limited access to costumes and props.
Meet and Greet:
We don’t want you to dive into this unprepared and uninformed so we’re hosting a Meet and Greet. This is an opportunity for you to hear the playwrights talk about their scripts, to introduce yourself to both the writers and the production team, and to eat cookies. Bring your questions, bring copies of your résumé, and — most importantly — book Wednesday November 12th at 7pm off on your calendar right now.
To attend the Meet and Greet please RSVP by Monday November 3, 2008 to:
firstname.lastname@example.org (this is preferred) or,
NEW IDEAS FESTIVAL — Call for Directors
Alumnae Theatre Company
70 Berkeley Street, Toronto, ON M5A 2W6
Check out http://www.alumnaetheatre.com for more details.