The Dora Mavor Moore Awards celebrate excellence in theatre, dance and opera in Toronto. This year, on the occasion of the 30th annual Dora Mavor Moore Awards, the Toronto Alliance for the Performing Arts (TAPA) is holding a design competition to select a new “Dora Award”. Entries will be judged independently by a panel of judges selected by TAPA, and the winner will be determined based upon the merits of her/his work.
Each year, thirty-five awards must be produced, which are identical in design. They are presented to winners across five divisions: General Theatre Production, Independent Theatre Production, Dance, Opera, Theatre for Young Audiences (TYA).
The budget for design and production of the thirty-five awards is $10,000. This must include all materials, design and labour. The total production cost of an individual award must not exceed $275.
TAPA will cover the cost of the first build up to $500 for the winning selection.
The Dora Award Design Competition is open to all individuals eighteen (18) years of age or older who are Toronto residents. Companies and collectives may also submit. Entries may be submitted by any organization or person involved in creating or producing the work, granted proper permissions are obtained and copyrights are observed.
Previously exhibited work is not eligible; work must conform to these rules and regulations, and must have been completed within the last year.
After entries have been submitted to TAPA, no substitutions, alterations or withdrawals will be permitted.
Applicants must make their own arrangements for studio space.
Payment for entry fees or a payment receipt must accompany your submissions.
The submission fee is $50 for a single submission, and $20 for each subsequent submission by the same artist. The student submission fee (with valid student I.D.) is $35, and $20 for each subsequent submission by the same artist.
A cash prize of $2,000 will be awarded to the winner.
HOW TO ENTER
- Submissions must be free-standing
- Submissions must not exceed a total height/width/depth of 30 inches
- Submissions must not exceed 1.5 feet in any direction
- Awards will display a plaque with the winner’s name, division and category; please ensure your design is able to incorporate a metal plaque measuring approximately 3.5”x1.5”
- You may choose to use the current wood base (H: 2” x L: 4”x W: 4.25”), or you may design your own, if required (cost of statue must include base; total production cost of individual award – including base – must not exceed $275)
- No information identifying the entrant should appear on the face of the entry
- Entries should be those originally designed by the entrants and not participated in any other competitions nor published in any manner prior to this competition
- Images provided must be accurate representations of the final piece
- Each entry must be on a separate CD, and must be accompanied by a separate application form
Submissions MUST include:
- Completed, signed application form
- Submission fee (cheque payable to P.A.I.S., cash, Visa or MasterCard; $2.00 service charge applicable to credit card payments)
- Description of design concept
- Easily understandable description of your proposed award design (500 words)
- Material(s) used; where they were sourced
- Building requirements
- Any other relevant information about production process or materials used
- Designs, sketches and/or photographs on CD (hard copies optional)
- Electronic sketches, images and/or designs of your design proposals
- Images must be submitted as PDF files, JPGs
- Please submit each individual entry on a separate CD (not a DVD)
- You may submit more than one image per entry
- CD files must open on PCs and MACs; unreadable CDs will not be judged
- Do not send slides
- Ensure that all items submitted are of professional quality
- Label CDs with artist’s last name; all file names on CD must include artist’s name
Submissions can also include (optional):
- Hard copies of designs, sketches, images and photographs
- Self-addressed stamped envelope if you wish to be notified of results
Portfolios and previous work will not be taken into consideration.
All submitted CDs, designs, sketches and photographs become the property of the Toronto Alliance for the Performing Arts. All 3D work must be picked up before March 31, 2009, otherwise it becomes the property of TAPA.
For more information please go to www.tapa.ca/doras/dora_award_contest