Position: Managing Producer
Organization: Dusk Dances Inc.
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Contract Fee: $20,000
Start Date: February 1, 2009
Contract Term: February 1 – November 30, 2009
Dusk Dances makes dance accessible and creates opportunities for dance artists and the public to become acquainted in a positive way.
Founded in 1993 by dancer-choreographer Sylvie Bouchard, Dusk Dances is a curated outdoor dance festival of high quality dance in public parks at dusk. An artistic event with a vibrant social character, Dusk Dances presents a wide array of choreographic works, from contemporary to traditional, and from a variety of ethno-cultural traditions. Dusk Dances is supported, on a pay-what-you-can basis, by its strong, diverse and loyal audience, as well as by Art Councils, foundations and donors.
Since it’s inception, Dusk Dances has toured within Canada as well as around Ontario, collaborating with co-presenting organizations, and working closely with communities. In 2009, Dusk Dances will focus on performances in downtown Toronto and in new neighborhoods around the GTA.
Reporting to the Festival Director, the Managing Producer is responsible for the execution of the festival and works in collaboration with the Communication Manager, Outreach Coordinator and Bookkeeper.
This 10-month contract requires a minimum of 17 hours per week for the months of February, March, August, September, October, November and a minimum of 25 hours per week for the months of April, May, June and July.
- Writing and submitting annual grant applications and final reports
- Negotiating contracts
- Balancing operating and festivals budgets
- Financial management in collaboration with Bookkeeper
- Prospecting and securing in-kind donations
- Hiring and supervising technical and PR staff
- Liaising with park staff and managers
- Supporting publicity campaigns
- Attending board meetings / preparing necessary documents
- Proven success managing large-scale projects, special events or Arts productions
- Ability to both direct and implement
- Excellent ability to work with deadlines and within timelines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Previous experience working both independently and within a team
- Ability to build positive relationships with a variety of people and communities
To succeed as Managing Producer the incumbent must:
- have a positive ‘can do’ attitude and look for creative solutions
- have the will to go above and beyond the call of duty
- be passionate about the arts
Knowledge of the dance milieu will be considered an asset.
Applicants should send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than January 5, 2009.
We thank all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Dusk Dances is an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring people who represent the communities in which we work. Dusk Dances welcomes and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. www.duskdances.ca