“Nightwood is a fertile breeding ground for new female talent.” – Michele Landsberg, Toronto Star
Mentorship is a key component at Nightwood Theatre and one that provides a fundamental service to the community of young female artists pursuing careers in professional theatre. We see ourselves as a gateway for women entering theatre, and believe that a passion and commitment to the emerging artist can indeed produce the leaders of tomorrow.
NIGHTWOOD THEATRE IS CURRENTLY ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS FROM BOTH MALE AND FEMALE ACTORS FOR ITS 2009 EMERGING ACTOR PROGRAM
This program provides an opportunity for emerging actors, recent graduates from theatre schools, to network, hone skills in play development and work alongside established theatre professionals while developing new works for the stage. The Emerging Actor Program works in tandem with Nightwood’s Write from the Hip novice playwriting program. In the past Write From The Hip directors have included Yvette Nolan, Weyni Mengesha, Jennifer Tarver and Nina Lee Aquino. Emerging Actor Alumni include graduates and students from the National Theatre School, Ryerson Theatre School, Humber College Theatre School, George Brown Theatre School, U of T’s Erindale/Sheridan Theatre Program, and the U of T’s University College Drama Program.
- Emerging Actors will participate in a series of workshops on acting in plays in development
- Weekly sessions will be held from May 20th – July 25th, 2008; The program runs on Tuesday nights until June and Monday nights until the final performance date of Sat July 25th
- All participants will be cast in at least one Write from the Hip reading, working alongside professional actors and directors.
- An honourarium will be provided
- Works will be presented on the final night of the Write from the Hip program
Please submit the following:
- Letter of Interest outlining why you’d like to be part of the Program
*Please Note: If selected for an audition, you will be auditioned on Saturday May 2nd.*
Please mail submissions to:
55 Mill St. The Case Goods Warehouse, Bldg. No 74. Suite 301
Toronto, ON M5A 3C4
ATTN: EMERGING ACTOR PROGRAM
Application Deadline: Monday, April 27th, 2009.
Submissions will not be accepted via fax or email
For more information please contact Anna Chatterton firstname.lastname@example.org
Write from the Hip
Write From the Hip is Nightwood’s novice playwriting program for young women aged 18-29. The Hip program is a series of weekly workshops, mentoring and hands-on seminars in writing skills and professional play development specifically designed for young writers. Over a 5-month period, each participant completes a new short work that is then workshopped and staged on the final night of the Write from the Hip Program. www.nightwoodtheatre.net