Dates: September 28th 2009 – December 18th 2009
The Canadian Stage Company is now accepting applications for the (volunteer) position ARTISTIC PROGRAMS VOLUNTEER INTERN.
Reporting to the Artistic Coordinator, this Intern position offers an excellent opportunity to gain knowledge in running creation and professional development programs that engage established theatre artists, emerging voices and youth, as well as the overall artistic activities of a large theatre organization, including casting and season programming.
About The Canadian Stage Company:
Based in Toronto, The Canadian Stage Company develops and produces the best in Canadian and international contemporary theatre and is Canada’s largest contemporary theatre company.
Major Responsibilities include:
- Assisting with the research and organization of projects for current and upcoming seasons, as well as maintaining departmental resources
- Assisting in the organization of submissions and casting activities
- Assisting with the co-ordination for programs for professional artists including creation programs, the BASH! Artist Development Program and other new initiatives
- Assisting with the co-ordination for programs for emerging artists and theatre students such as The Gymnasium Emerging Artist Development Program
- Assisting with the co-ordination for programs for youth and opportunities for young artists
- Documenting artistic activities and reporting on findings, compiling feedback and contributing to overall program evaluation
The Intern will have opportunities to opportunities to participate in artistic program planning and visioning sessions, and where appropriate, opportunities to develop leadership skills in the implementation of new initiatives.
The Canadian Stage Company Artistic Programs Intern must commit to 18 – 25 hrs per week. Schedule can be flexible.
Ideal Personal Qualities:
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- Interest in theatre creation and producing, artistic development and casting
- Experience in leadership roles and desire to improve leadership skills
- Passion for the performing arts and a working knowledge of Toronto’s professional theatre scene
- Ability to work well individually and as part of a team
- Previous office administration experience and previous creation experience are an asset
- Highly organized Self-starter. Full training will be provided but in some cases the successful candidate will be asked to work independently on assigned projects.
- High computer proficiency (MS Word & Excel experience preferred, e-mail and internet)
- Being enrolled in a course of study that involves interning at an arts organization is considered an asset but not required.
In addition to the many benefits of The Canadian Stage Company’s Intern Program which include information sessions with staff members of their choice, the successful candidate will also be in contact with some of Canada’s leading theatre artists and will have opportunity to take part in festival events. The intern will also receive free tickets to Canadian Stage productions and will be invited to readings, workshops and other artistic development initiatives. We strive to make our intern positions as valuable an experience as possible.
Please submit cover letter, résumé and 3 (phone) references by Friday September 18, 2009 by email only,
(attach documents in Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat)
Attention: ARTISTIC PROGRAMS INTERN
Canadian Stage Company
Please note in your cover letter where you saw this intern posting. We thank everyone who applies for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview are contacted. No telephone inquiries please. All applications are considered confidential.
Canadian Stage Company is an equal opportunity employer.