Application Deadline: Friday February 26, 2010
Position: General Manager
Start Date: Mar 08, 2010
Artistic Directors Avery Saltzman & David Eisner founded the Harold Green Jewish Theatre Company to illuminate humanity through a Jewish perspective, by inviting artists and audiences to participate in live theatre, the meeting place of all the arts. Theatre holds up a mirror to our lives and stimulates us to see the world in new ways. We want our plays, of Jewish themes, to delight and enlighten, to inspire and stir and to open hearts to humanity. We tell stories to reveal truths, through a Jewish perspective, that deserve to be heard over and over again.
- Develop and monitor long-range, annual and project budgets, as well as cash flow projections to allow the organization to anticipate and plan for financial needs, and to help ensure the organizations overall financial health.
- Manage annual audit and the preparation of the organizations CRA requirements for a charitable organization.
- Assume fiscal responsibility for the overall budget; monitor the financial situation of The Company and its programs; assure appropriate and necessary cash flow and the most effective use of fiscal resources; develop the necessary monitoring instruments and procedures to assure that all funds are properly used and accounted for and that reports to funding agencies are prompt and correct; provide Board with the most useful and appropriate forms of information to enable them to understand the financial status of The Company.
- Manage day to day accounting, payroll and remittances as required.
- Work closely with the Company’s Special Gifts Officer and Director of Community Development to aggressively cultivate institutional, government, corporate and individual donors to increase support for the organization and maintain existing relationships with previously identified donors and institutions.
- Administer tax receipts and uphold charitable obligations as per the requirements of the Canada Revenue Agency.
- Manage and write all grant and major foundation proposals in collaboration with the Artistic Directors.
Marketing & Community Engagement
- Work closely with the Artistic Directors and the marketing firm to develop and implement an effective marketing strategy to reach new and existing audiences.
- Oversee and create the house programme along with the marketing firm for each theatrical production.
- Ensure community outreach programmes such as talkbacks, study guides and community performances are appropriately managed to optimize relationships.
- Negotiate and administer all contracts for productions including but not limited to: playwrights, artists, designers, production staff, theatre, unions, marketing, publicity, and group sales.
- Work closely with the Production Manager to manage the critical path and cash flow for pre production and running operations.
- Liaise with the box office staff to manage ticket inventory and ticket promotions, encompassing the subscription series and up to three separate theatres selling individual and group tickets.
- Approve box office settlements.
- Assist the board of directors in developing and implementing strategic planning processes.
- Monitor emerging trends for best practices & strategic opportunities, and assist the board in determining which opportunities are in the best interest of the organization.
- Assist the Board of Directors with board development, including the development and implementation of goals for board recruitment, committee work, and other key activities related to the board’s fiduciary role.
- Sit on board committees and attend board meetings for the purposes of reporting and providing information on the health of the organization.
The organization is seeking an innovative and pragmatic individual to assume the position of General Manager. The General Manager oversees a small administrative and contract staff. The successful candidate will be a strong and caring leader and proven fund-raiser. She/he will have the ability to take the organization to the next level as the Company embarks on new endeavours: playwright development, speakers’ series, and a young company. We are looking for a dynamic leader with the following qualifications:
Qualifications and Attributes
- Five years experience in arts management preferred.
- A capacity and appreciation for working with a diverse community.
- A collaborative and customer-service oriented approach to the organization’s stakeholders.
- Excellent communication skills including verbal, written and public speaking.
- Strong problem solving skills
Qualified individuals should submit a cover letter, résumé, short writing sample, at least three references with affiliations and contact information to:
David Eisner The Harold Green Jewish Theatre Company, 121 Parkway Forest Drive, Suite 107, Toronto, ON M2J 5H4
or by email to email@example.com
The theatre is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applicants of all backgrounds to apply. Unfortunately only those who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Send Submissions To:
121 Parkway Forest Drive
The Harold Green Jewish Theatre Company’s mandate is to illuminate humanity through a Jewish perspective, celebrating and preserving Jewish culture by inviting artists and audiences of Jews and non-Jews to participate in live theatre; the meeting place of all the arts. We want our plays of Jewish themes to delight and enlighten, to inspire and stir, and to open hearts to humanity. We tell stories that reveal truths 5000 years in the making and it is our honour and privilege to have them be heard over and over again.