Volunteer position available for a Librarian
The Young Centre for the Performing Arts is seeking a Librarian volunteer who will be responsible for developing and implementing a functional system for the William Hutt Reference Library aimed at satisfying expectations/needs for the Young Centre library users.
A unique joint venture between Soulpepper Theatre Company and George Brown College, the Young Centre for the Performing Arts, located in Toronto’s Historic Distillery District, is Canada’s only performing arts, education and community outreach centre.
The William Hut Reference Library
The Young Centre launched a reference library in honour of Canadian theatre luminary, actor William Hutt that also acts as a meeting room. This library is primarily used as a quiet space for actors, students and staff to peruse the collection.
As the volunteer librarian you will;
- Label and organize all materials using the Dewey Decimal Classification
- Perform ongoing maintenance (e.g re-shelving, repairing books, labeling new material, following up on missing books)
- Recommend duplicate books (or those unrelated to the performing arts) to be donated to another organization
- Require a flexible commitment of 8-16 hours for initial set up; 4 hrs a week for ongoing maintenance
Qualifications, Education and Experience:
- Knowledge of archiving systems and processes
- Ability to work independently
- A positive attitude along with a desire to tackle new challenges.
The Young Centre is a state of the art performing arts facility that is looking to improve the William Hutt Reference Library. This position will be both rewarding and challenging; however, it is a volunteer position that requires commitment.
How to Apply
Please send resume and cover letter detailing how you can contribute to this dynamic not-for-profit arts organization by no later than Friday March 19, 2010.
Please quote LBV10 in the subject line of your email.
Search Committee/Library Volunteer
c/o Kareen Lalicon, Manager of Patron & Operations Services
Young Centre for the Performing Arts
55 Mill Street, Building 49
Toronto, ON M5A 3C4
We thank all applicants for their interest in the Young Centre for the Performing Arts; however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.