Nightwood Theatre is Canada’s National Women’s Theatre. Founded in 1979, it has developed, produced and toured landmark, award-winning plays by and about women. The company’s tremendous work in play creation bore fruit to many renowned and acclaimed plays that are now part of the Canadian theatre canon including Good Night Desdemona (Good Morning Juliet) by Ann-Marie MacDonald, Harlem Duet and The Adventures of a Black Girl in Search of God by Djanet Sears, The Danish Play by Sonja Mills – and over 50 other new Canadian plays by women. Nightwood plays have won Canada’s highest literary and performing arts honours, including Governor General, Chalmers, Dora Mavor Moore and Trillium awards. Youth initiatives are a key component of Nightwood’s annual activities with our three programs, Busting Out!, Write From the Hip and Emerging Actors.
Nightwood is seeking a dynamic, goal-oriented individual for the full-time position of Producer/General Manager.
The successful candidate will have at least 5 years of increasing responsibility in general management and/or producing in the performing arts. She will have a demonstrated level of professional theatre experience and a deep understanding of and commitment to the development and promotion of female artistic voices across the country, as well as experience and understanding of professional theatre management.
Working in partnership with Artistic Director Kelly Thornton and reporting to the Board of Directors, the Producer/General Manager will be responsible for the overall operations of the organization. Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Production: acting as producer for all Nightwood productions, events and tours.
- Financial Management: ensuring effective financial controls are in place, preparing, monitoring and revising the operating and production budgets, generating financial reports, working with the Bookkeeper and liaising with the company’s auditor.
- Human Resources Management: overseeing the activities of the administrative, development and production personnel, contracting all employees and contractors, negotiating with appropriate labour organizations, including working within the CTA.
- Maintaining good relations with government agencies, optimizing funding from governmental sources and, with the Artistic Director, preparing operating and project grants for all three levels of government.
- Fundraising within the private sector including individual giving, major gifts, corporate sponsorship as well as special event fundraisers.
- Liaising with the Board of Directors, ensuring that the Board is kept fully informed of the conditions and operations of the organization and are fully engaged in the growth of the company.
- Representing the company to the artists, our audiences, stakeholders and broader communities through leadership and participation.
We are looking for a confident, enthusiastic and creative person; one who has strong management and decision-making skills, and supports the organization’s vision and mission. A high level of general competence and organization will be needed – along with excellent verbal and written communication skills. She will have excellent analytical, financial, and organizational skills; an entrepreneurial spirit; a passion for theatre, a good sense of humour, and the ability to deal humanely and wisely with a broad spectrum of personalities. She is a positive and collaborative team player who thrives in a busy environment.
Qualified applicants must submit a letter of interest, resume, and three references no later than April 23, 2010.
Please note a preferred applicant has been identified.
Apply by EMAIL ONLY to the following coordinates:
Nightwood Theatre, Hiring Committee – Producer/General Manager
Interviews will take place the week of April 26 and this full-time position will start in mid July 2010. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Nightwood Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. We thank everyone who applies for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone enquiries or fax applications please. All applications will be considered confidential.