Canadian Stage is now accepting applications for the (volunteer) position of EDUCATION AND AUDIENCE DEVELOPMENT INTERN.
Led by Artistic & General Director Matthew Jocelyn, Canadian Stage produces and showcases innovative theatre work from Canada and around the world, allowing its audience to encounter daring work guided by a strong directorial vision and a 21st-century aesthetic.
Reporting to the Education Manager and the Audience Development Manager, this Intern position offers an opportunity to gain knowledge about developing and leading the education, audience development and outreach programs associated with Canadian Stage’s 10.11 season. The successful candidate will develop experience in areas of administration, marketing and communications, program planning and implementation.
Responsibilities will include:
- Assisting with the administration and execution of Education initiatives, including Educator Preview Nights and the annual promotional School Tour
- Assisting with the promotion and administration of Audience Development initiatives including C-Stage, Youth Nights and talkbacks
- Compiling copy for and distributing various communication pieces
- Research for and creation and maintenance of company contact lists and databases
Start Date: September 7 – End Date: December 18, 2010
The Education and Audience Development Intern must commit to 12 – 16 hours work per week. Schedule can be flexible. Candidates must be available for occasional evening and weekend work.
Ideal personal qualities:
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- Interest in youth arts and educational programming, communications and outreach
- Experience in leadership roles and a desire to improve leadership skills
- Ability to work well individually and as part of a team
- Previous office administration experience and previous creation experience are an asset
- A background in education is an asset but is not required
- Self-starter. Full training will be provided but in some cases the successful candidate will be asked to work independently on assigned projects
- Computer proficiency (MS Word & Excel experience preferred, e-mail and internet)
- Being enrolled in a course of study that involves interning at an arts organization is considered an asset, but is not required
The Education and Audience Development Intern will have a chance to participate in information sessions with Canadian Stage staff members of their choice. The intern will also receive free tickets to Canadian Stage productions and will be invited to readings, workshops and other artistic development initiatives. We strive to make our intern positions as valuable an experience as possible.
Please submit a cover letter, résumé and 3 (phone) references by September 2, 2010 by email only, (attach documents in Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat)
Attention: EDUCATION AND AUDIENCE DEVELOPMENT INTERN
Interviews will be held on Friday, September 3.
Please note in your cover letter where you saw this intern posting. We thank everyone who applies for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview are contacted. No telephone inquiries please. All applications are considered confidential.
Canadian Stage is an equal opportunity employer.