The Graduate Centre for Study of Drama invites you to join us at the 19th annual Festival of Original Theatre. FOOT 2011 intends to explore the implications of contemporary trends within the field of Post-Colonial performance studies as they relate to contentious issues within various cultural/multi-racial communities. This conference will examine an integrative approach to the intersection of theoretical and practical research through discussions surrounding the use of dramatic language, the arrangement of theatrical space and time, and the manipulation of narrative and performative conventions of drama.
Our Keynote, Dr. Nandi Bhatia, is associate professor of English at the University of Western Ontario, and author of Acts of Authority/Acts of Resistance: Theatre and Politics in Colonial and Post-Colonial India, Modern Indian Theatre, and Performing Women: Theatre, Politics and Dissent in North India (Oxford University Press). Bhatia was the 1999 recipient of The John Polanyi Prize for Literature, and her extensive research on the links between colonial and post-colonial film, theatre and literature has been published in such journals as Theatre Journal, Modern Drama, and Feminist Review.
The 2011 festival will feature a mix of papers as well as staged readings and/or performances of works by Valerie Mason-John, Donna-Michelle St. Bernard, Yvette Nolan and Rahul Varma, as well as a screening of the film Being Dalit directed by Alberto Guevera.
For a complete schedule www.foot2011.com
Festival of Original Theatre
Performing Back: A Conference Devoted to Post-Colonial Theatre
February 4-6, 2011
Robert Gill Theatre
214 College Street, 3rd flr
(St. George St. entrance)
University of Toronto
4th Line Theatre, an outdoor theatre company located in Millbrook, Ontario, is currently looking for a seasonal full time junior Box Office Customer Service Representative
As one of the primary points of contact for our patrons, this position plays an essential role in establishing and developing the relationship between 4th Line Theatre and its patrons, thereby promoting customer loyalty and confidence. In an inbound capacity, the representative facilitates and encourages the sale of tickets, accommodations, and related items while providing service that is efficient, enthusiastic and professional.
Start date: Monday June 27, 2011
End Date: Friday August 27, 2011
(total of 8 weeks, one week off between productions)
- Keen interest in the performing arts and tourism sectors.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Detail oriented individual.
- Advance PC computer skills in MS WORD, EXCEL and OUTLOOK.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and is highly organized.
- Enjoys working in a fast paced team environment.
- Smart Serve certified.
- Must have own car.
Responsibilities of this position will include:
- Assisting with telephone, online and in-person ticket, subscription, group and package sales as well as processing donation & other revenue.
- Assisting in handling patron requests for special needs.
- Assist with donor stewardship.
- Ensure preparation of daily report and daily sales reconciliations
- Maintain a clean and welcoming environment for public
- Attend the Box Office on-location, greeting patrons and providing information.
- Assist concession coordinator during intermission.
4th Line Theatre is an award-winning outdoor theatre company that presents regionally based, environmentally staged, historical dramas. Our performance venue is located on the Winslow Farm, just outside Millbrook, Ontario. To find out more about 4th Line Theatre and the upcoming summer season, please visit our website www.4thlinetheatre.on.ca
Please send a resume and covering letter by
January 27, 2011 to:
Allena Litherland, Artistic Administrator
c/o 4th Line Theatre
P.O. Box 403
Millbrook, ON L0A 1G0
GuineaPigging by Catherine Frid
directed by Molly Thom
Performance dates: April 15th – 30th, 2011
- Christine (F, 24) smart, usually assertive but now in the grip of a worrying addiction and an unsatisfactory relationship
- Larry, (M, 30 to 55) the technician who runs the lab, a vain control freak, always coming on to the women (THIS ROLE IS CAST)
- Hannah (F, 25 – 35) an experienced Guineapig, loud-mouthed, cynical, a bit trashy, described as a “yummy mummy”
- Wayne (M, 35-45) a cop, engaged to Chris, another control freak (THIS ROLE IS CAST)
- Analisa (F, 35-40) voluptuous, smart, sexy Ecuadoran (THIS ROLE IS CAST)
- Bogdan (M, 25 – 55) from Belarus. gullible, language-challenged, a bit thick, requires lots of physical action.
- Paul (M, 25 – 55) a real pro, cool, clever, appears to sleep a lot but is alert to everything that’s going on.
- Glenda (F, 25-40) Casino waitress, bubblehead, good-time girl, may double with Hannah.
- Monday, January 24th 6:30 – 10:00 pm
- Wednesday, January 26th 6:30 – 10:00 pm
- Saturday, January 29th 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Please prepare a short, contemporary, comic monologue.
- You may also be asked to read from the script.
- Please read the play before auditioning. Reading copies are available at the 5th floor Performing Arts desk of the Toronto Reference Library.
- Please bring your photo and résumé.
- Call backs will be during the week of January 31st.
TO BOOK AN AUDITION TIME
Please e-mail GoAlumnae@gmail.com or leave a message on the audition line at 416-364-4170 ext 3.
Auditions will be held at the Alumnae Theatre, 70 Berkeley Street (SW corner of Berkeley and Adelaide)
Alumnae Theatre is a non-professional theatre company that encourages diversity in its membership and casting.
Performer(s) sought for ongoing performances in the GTA & beyond. Please see the Faustwork Mask Theatre website: www.faustwork.com.
We seek performers who are:
- Bilingual French / English preferred
- Young Audience, Physical Theatre, Dance, Mask Theatre, Puppetry and/or stage clown experience preferred.
Please send resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.