February 17 – 26, 2011
Admission: Pay-What-You-Can (suggested amount is $10)
At the Tapestry/Nightwood New Work Studio in the Distillery District
55 MILL STREET, THE CANNERY BUILDING, STUDIO 315
This ten-day festival of new works by women features 4 current and exciting plays from our Playwrights Unit and Residencies and 4 scripts fresh from our Write from the Hip* young writers program. This year also features a two-day masterclass in playwriting led by Judith Thompson.
The Groundswell Festival is a nationally recognized forum for the creation and development of theatre by women. The festival boasts impressive alumnae including Morwyn Brebner, Marjorie Chan, Claudia Dey, Ann-Marie MacDonald, Monique Mojica, Sonja Mills and Djanet Sears. This year’s playwrights were selected from over 50 submissions from across the country. Over the season the playwrights received dramaturgical support from Artistic Director Kelly Thornton, Associate Artistic Director, Kelly Straughan and Literary Manager/ Dramaturg Erica Kopyto. The process culminates in a workshop rehearsal and a festival staged reading.
Nightwood’s Write from the Hip program is run by Anna Chatterton, Director of Youth Initiatives (Director of Write-From-The-Hip, Emerging Actor Program and Busting Out) and Audrey Dwyer, Associate Director of Write-From-The-Hip & Emerging Actor Program Coordinator.
The strength of these voices reflects Nightwood Theatre’s ongoing commitment to the development of artistic excellence among Canadian women theatre artists. We are proud to invite you to join us for the 2011 Groundswell Festival of New Works by Women:
- Thursday February 17, 7:30 pm – The Peace Maker* Natasha Greenblatt
- Friday February 18, 7:30 pm – The Washing Machine by Radha S Menon
- Saturday February 19, 7:30 pm – Little Sara aka The Clicking Venus * Meghan Swaby
- Tuesday February 22, 7:30 pm – Kissy Kissy* Aisha Sasha John
- Wednesday February 23, 7:30 pm – The Pact by Jayne Collins
- Thursday February 24, 7:30 pm – Between the Sheets* Jordi Mand
- Friday February 25, 7:30 pm – The Aftermath by Lisa Codrington
- Saturday February 26, 7:30 pm – The Happy Woman by Rose Cullis
- Judith Thompson’s Masterclass in Playwriting runs Sunday February 20 & Monday February 21 from 10-5pm.