Although theatre companies across the country produce musicals each season, there are few programs dedicated to the development of them. In the Spring of 2011, Acting Up Stage Company, in association with Morris Berchard, inaugurates NoteWorthy, a five stage program unlike any other in Canada dedicated to systematically advancing the development of new Canadian musicals, while offering Canadian composers and playwrights an opportunity to see their work move from Toronto to international presentations.
The first stage, taking place in May 2011, offers four composers and four playwrights the chance to explore musical collaboration. Each participant will create a 10-minute musical with two different writing partners over a two week period. Supported by dramaturg David Oiye, the first stage of NoteWorthy gives writers with an interest in musical theatre creation the chance to hone their craft, and to experiment with prospective collaborators in hopes of finding a composer or playwright partner. At the end of the two weeks, the 10-minute musicals will be performed for the NoteWorthy participants by musical theatre
Two sets of the most promising collaborators from stage 1 of NoteWorthy will receive a two week paid writing intensive in Fall 2011 in order to develop an outline for a full musical concept. One work will be commissioned, then workshopped and ultimately brought to life in an Acting Up Stage season, with a commercial transfer option from Morris Berchard that could see the work realized nationally and internationally.
Program Dates: May 16-27, 2011, Monday-Friday
Pay rate: $500/week
Deadlines for Submissions: March 15, 2011
Acting Up Stage Company and Morris Berchard are seeking submissions from established Canadian playwrights and Canadian composers for the inaugural NoteWorthy program. Participants from outside of Toronto are welcome to apply.
We are specifically looking for artists who are interested in creating new musicals and are open to collaborations with others.
Acting Up Stage Company is a company in its seventh year of operation, dedicated to producing, developing and advancing the versatile art of musical theatre by:
- Interpreting contemporary, thought-provoking work through the lens of our country’s artists;
- Bringing new musicals to life; and
- Developing the artists and audiences of tomorrow.
Morris Berchard is a Canadian theatre producer who produces plays and musicals in Toronto and in New York, both on Broadway and off-Broadway.
Submissions MUST include:
- A one-page (total) response to the following questions:
- Why are you interested in creating musical theatre?
- Describe your musical theatre taste (i.e. who are the musical theatre writers you most admire?).
- What has been a stand out musical theatre experience for you, and why?
- Work Samples:
- Playwrights- A five-page excerpt of one play that has been produced at the professional level.
- Composers- Two samples (mp3, mp4 attached to your emailed submission) of music that you’ve composed (songs with lyrics are preferable over instrumentals).
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: March 15, 2011 (5:00pm)
Please email submissions to: email@example.com with “NoteWorthy” in the subject line.
Any further questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Noteworthy has been supported in part through a generous donation by Curtis Barlow.