Satya Arts Association, organizers of Masala! Mehndi! Masti!, is accepting applications for the unpaid part-time internship position of VOLUNTEER RESOURCES INTERN for the IIFA Markham Buzz Events – CIBC presents Bollywood Under the Stars and Markham Bollywood Extravaganza, produced by the Town of Markham.
This unpaid internship position is ideal for a student or recent graduate of an applicable degree or diploma programme in Volunteer Management or Arts Administration.
Reporting to Bob McCarthy, Volunteer Director, the Volunteer Resources Intern position is an opportunity for the candidate to apply their skills and knowledge in the field of volunteer management and obtain an understanding of the activities surrounding International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) and South Asian festivals, such as Masala! Mehndi! Masti! (M!M!M!). There is a strong mentorship aspect to this internship including mentorship in how festivals such as M!M!M! are organized in Toronto and how arts festivals function abroad. After a successful internship term the intern will be encouraged to apply for the paid contract position of Director of Volunteers for M!M!M! (August 19th to 21st, 2011).
- Creating a database to be used for creating schedules for all IIFA BUZZ, Markham Bollywood Extravaganza volunteer shifts taking place on June 17-18, 2011
- Maintain accurate volunteer shift schedules on behalf of each volunteer in the database
- Run queries and reports from the volunteer database
- Provide prompt responses to volunteer inquiries received by e-mail, phone and in person
- Assist a team of board members in supervising and training volunteers
- Assist in organizing and running volunteer orientation and training sessions
- Assist Volunteer Office team with tasks as requested
- Help to maintain a fun and positive environment for volunteers
- Prepare a detailed post-mortem report
In all matters relating to volunteer information systems, the Volunteer Resources Intern will ensure that all information is handled in an ethical and confidential manner.
Start and End Dates:
May 16th to June 24th, 2011
The intern will be expected to work no more than 16 hours per week, usually during evening or weekend hours. The intern will be primarily working from home with some meetings in the downtown Toronto area. On June 17th and June 18th the intern will be expected to work on-site in Markham.
- An interest in South Asian film culture
- Volunteer management or arts administration and/or applicable education or experience
- Data entry experience and high computer proficiency (spreadsheets, e-mail and Internet)
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt to frequently changing priorities
- Ability to follow instructions in terms of using our system to recruit, train and manage volunteers
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a diverse team of board members and volunteers
- Ability to multi-task in a busy open-concept work environment with frequent interruptions
- Strong verbal and written proficiency in English
- Comfortable speaking in front of large groups of people
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to accommodate a schedule that requires some evening and weekend work
Please submit cover letter, resumé and the names and phone numbers of 3 references (attach documents in RTF, MS Word, or PDF) by 5 pm on MAY 12th BY EMAIL ONLY to the attention of Hiring Committee: VOLUNTEER RESOURCES INTERN *Please note the position in the subject line*
Email, Bob McCarthy, Director of Volunteers: firstname.lastname@example.org
PLEASE NOTE IN YOUR COVER LETTER WHERE YOU SAW THIS INTERN POSTING
ABOUT THIS INTERNSHIP:
We will try our best to provide the intern with the experience necessary to better their career opportunities. The intern will receive excellent on-the-job training and/or experience. We offer regular intern supervisor meetings with our interns as well as information interviews with selected board members. There is a strong mentorship component to this internship.