Full-time contract position
Start Date: August 2011
Term of Contract: 12 month contract; possibility of renewal
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
Deadline for application: August 5, 2011
The Canadian Journalism Foundation (CJF) is a not-for-profit organization that promotes excellence in journalism by celebrating outstanding journalistic achievement through an annual awards program; by operating journalism websites, J-Source.ca (English) and ProjetJ.ca (French), in cooperation with the country’s leading journalism schools; and by organizing events that facilitate dialogue among journalists, business people, politicians, government officials and academics about the role of the media in Canadian society.
Reporting directly to the executive director, this position is responsible for providing assistance and support to the overall operation of the Canadian Journalism Foundation. The position requires strong computer and internet research skills, excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to work well with all levels of volunteer management and staff as well as stakeholders and vendors.
This position will be of particular interest to an administrative professional who is a highly organized self-starter and enjoys having the broad range of responsibilities that goes with working in a small organization.
- Manage administrative systems to ensure smooth and efficient operation of the office and programs, including management of the office equipment (phone/computers/etc)
- Maintain office supplies and filing system, and complete general office duties including photocopying, faxing, and coordinating mail-outs and courier services
- Maintain and update databases and distribution lists
- Organize Board of Director and committee meetings including drafting and distribution of meeting minutes
SUPPORT FOR FUNDRAISING AND FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
- Keep an accurate log of all donations received, issue and record all tax receipts, and prepare and send thank you letters
- Process incoming bills and outgoing cheques
- Maintain monthly files of revenues and expenses to be transferred to bookkeeper
- Conduct prospect research and track fundraising activity
- Prepare and follow-up on invoices and provide other financial management support as required
SUPPORT FOR PROGRAMMING
- Assist with execution, tracking and evaluation of all events, including the annual awards gala
- Prepare prospect lists, coordinate mail-outs, liaise with participants, assist with promotion, etc.
- Assist with management of the awards programs, including promotions, tracking applications and coordinating with award committees
The ideal candidate will be a professional with:
- 3 to 5 years experience in office administration
- Strong knowledge of office software including Word, Excel and PowerPoint required
- Strong problem solving abilities
- Accuracy and high attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and experience working with volunteer committee
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience in event organization is an asset
- Basic fundraising knowledge and experience in data entry and donation handling an asset
- Working knowledge of French is an asset
- Understanding that extended hours are necessary upon occasion
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Please forward your curriculum vitae and cover letter by 5:00 pm on Friday August 5, 2011.
If after reviewing the above requirements and responsibilities you feel you have the necessary qualifications, please direct your resume in confidence to:
The Canadian Journalism Foundation
59 Adelaide Street East, Suite 500
Toronto, ON M5C 1K6