Job Status: Full Time, 4-month contract, with the possibility to extend for an additional 8 months.
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Opportunity Details: Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra and Chamber Choir
The Special Events Specialist, reporting to the Director of Development, provides fundraising support for Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra and Chamber Choir. The Special Events Specialist is a full-time contract position and areas of responsibility include the coordination of all aspects of fundraising events, Tafelmusik’s annual gala, and providing administrative support for the department. The successful candidate will be dedicated to a career in special events and fundraising in the arts, be an outgoing, self-motivated, active team player; have a passion for the arts, and have a deep interest in contributing to the ongoing success of Tafelmusik.
You will have the opportunity to:
Work as a member of the Development team assisting in the planning, coordination, budgeting and execution of An Artists’ Affair, the annual gala in partnership with the University Health Network and Artists’ Health Centre Foundation, and other Tafelmusik development events in its presenting season.
Key Areas of Responsibilities:
- Attend Special Event Committee meetings;
- Responsible for coordination of all aspects of the live and silent auctions;
- Coordinate design of all event-related signage and print materials;
- Support Director of Development and committee members in table sales;
- Liaise with partner organizations in all aspects of the event including décor and logistical planning; and
- Liaise with committee members and provide administrative support.
- Coordinate stewardship activities and special benefits packages for donors of all levels (including pre-concert lectures, open rehearsals, receptions, membership lounge, and other events)
- Coordinate cultivation activities for targeted patrons (including season launch party, media launch party, and other special events)
- Execute and coordinate donor events with assistance from the Development team and Events Manager.
Skills and Experience:
- College diploma or other post-secondary education;
- Events planned for fundraising purposes and initiatives;
- Knowledge and passion for music and the performing arts
- Performing arts or not-for-profit experience an asset;
- Advanced in MS Office (i.e. Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
- Team player, highly flexible;
- High professional standards
- Excellent organizational and time management skills;
- Accuracy and attention to detail;
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects;
- Excellent interpersonal and client service skills;
- Ability to work under time pressure and perform effectively under stress;
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to work independently; and
- Flexibility to work evening and weekends, and travel to attend on-site meetings when required.
As the successful candidate of this contract, you will have the opportunity to:
- Be part of an industry recognized for its excellence in period performance;
- Be rewarded with a competitive compensation package;
- Be a participant in a wide variety of events and initiatives; and
- Have access to tickets to performances at Tafelmusik and partnering organizations.
Please submit a covering letter and resume, in confidence, to:
Michelle Yeung,Development Associate
Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra and Chamber Choir
427 Bloor Street West, Box 14
Toronto ON M5S 1X7
The application deadline is December 22, 2011. Interviewing of qualified candidates will begin immediately.
While we thank all applicants, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
For more information on Tafelmusik, visit www.tafelmusik.org.
Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra, led by Music Director Jeanne Lamon and founded in 1979, is one of the world’s leading period performance ensembles. All members of the Orchestra are specialists in historical performance practice, and their collaboration results in a delightful transparency, vitality and richness of sound. Tafelmusik performs over 50 concerts a year at home in Toronto, tours extensively around the world, has released over 75 CDs and has received nine JUNO Awards and one Grammy Award nomination. Each year the Tafelmusik Baroque Summer Institute attracts pre-professional and professional musicians from around the world. The Tafelmusik Chamber Choir, specializing in baroque performance practice and vocal technique, was formed in 1981 to complement the Orchestra. This season, Tafelmusik has embarked on major tours to Europe, Asia, Ontario and Western Canada and was featured in television broadcasts of Sing-Along Messiah on BRAVO!