S.L.I.P- 2012 APPLICATIONS (SummerWorks Leadership Intensive Program)
Deadline for submission: Friday April 6th, 2012 by 5:00 p.m.
Now in its fourth year, the SummerWorks Leadership Intensive Program (S.L.I.P) is a unique professional training intensive for emerging artists, placing a specific focus on the business of arts professionalism. This two week program, coinciding with the SummerWorks Theatre Festival, will take place August 9-19th, 2012.
This unique intensive offers emerging artists and arts workers insights into the thinking behind producing and how to approach an artistic career from a practical business perspective. (S.L.I.P does not place focus on performance or on auditioning. We do not discuss how to get an agent or where to have headshots taken.)
Past points of focus have included: Professional Etiquette, Marketing, Publicity, Grant Writing, Fundraising, Touring, Financial Planning, Artistic Directing and How To Do Everything All At Once. Some past professionals who have led S.L.I.P sessions are: Philip Akin, Gideon Arthurs, Franco Boni, Pat Bradley, Derrick Chua, Ted Dykstra, Jon Kaplan, Nina Lee Aquino, Jackie Maxwell, Ross Manson, Allyson McMackon, Any McKim, Yvette Nolan, Kelly Thornton and many more.
Participants also have the chance to be mentored by an artist producing at SummerWorks. S.L.I.P members and attend an extensive amount of work presented at the Festival.
Ideal Candidates Are:
- Emerging artists who have a strong interest in producing, the business of the arts and artistic leadership but may not have the experience.
- Just graduating from a post-secondary theatre programs or emerging artists who have been in the industry for up to three years since graduating.
- Available for the entire duration of S.L.I.P (August 8-19, 2012).
- Producers, performers, directors, choreographers, writers and designers who are intelligent, passionate and curious.
- We encourage artists from all artistic backgrounds to apply: dance, visual arts, music etc. While the program is heavily focused on theatre, the skills and knowledge offered to S.L.I.P members can apply to all artistic practices.
Visit the SummerWorks Theatre Festival website at http://www.summerworks.ca/2011/applications-slip.php to apply! (even though the link above says 2011, the 2012 application can be found here!)
The deadline for submission: Friday April 6th, 2012 by 5:00 p.m.