TOP GUN! The Musical by Denis McGrath & Scott White
In celebration of its 10 year anniversary, The Lower Ossington Theatre proudly presents TOP GUN!: The Musical.
A writer/director attempting to salvage his dying career struggles with maintaining creative integrity while adapting one of the 1980s most influential films to a musical: Top Gun. Dancers dressed as F-16′s, beach volleyball (complete with sand), overconfident but under talented actors, budgetary restrictions, and legality issues all lead to the question: will the show go on?
Rehearsals will begin April 20th, and show will open early June.
For audition, please prepare one contemporary monologue of your choosing appropriate to the character you’re interested in, and a contemporary musical theatre song showcasing your range. Will most likely be a cappella, but please bring sheet music. Auditions will be Saturday April 14th and Monday April 16th, with a third day to be decided. If scheduling conflicts occur, please make a note in your application.
If you have any questions, feel free to email email@example.com.
- BILLY [Male, 25-35]; the director of Top Gun!: The Musical. Having a very difficult time keeping everything together. Idealist, a dreamer, pushed to his limit.
- WENDY [Female, 25-35]; the stage manager of Top Gun, and a very good one at that. Blunt, honest, the motor of the group. Often sardonic, strongly dislikes CHARLIE for the sexual tension that exists between her and BILLY. Has carried a torch for BILLY for a long time without mention.
- THE GENERAL [Male, 35-50]; the producer of the show. A military man with an interest in the business of theatre, but lacks artistic inclinations. A powerful but fair man with a good head on his shoulders and a lot of bravado. Has worked hard and earned the respect he receives.
- MAVERICK [Male, 20-30]; (Lead of Top Gun the movie. A leader, hot shot pilot with something to prove, and the hots for CHARLIE) Simple minded and earnest, naive. Oblivious on a large and small scale, as in current events and also his immediate surroundings. Has good intentions, but poor execution and ideas. Doesn’t have an ego, moreso unadulterated confidence. Relatively new to the world of theatre, and willing to learn.
- GOOSE [Female, 20-30]; (Maverick’s wingman. In the film, Goose dies halfway through, propelling the second half of the plot. In the film Goose was a man, but for ‘artistic reasons’ the role has been changed to a woman.) Undemanding, often acts as the peanut gallery with Iceman, but puts her foot down when it’s important. Commited actor and strong team player.
- ICEMAN [Male, 25-35]; (foil to Maverick. Confident tough guy who rags on Mavericks recklessness and is considered the antagonist for most of the film.) Witty, biting, very good with words and not afraid to say what he thinks. Proudly gay, into MAVERICK and enjoys browbeating him. Confident, strongly dislikes CHARLIE.
- CHARLIE [Female, 25-40]; (lead female, romantic interest of MAVERICK and teacher at Top Gun,) Manipulative, uses her sexuality to get what she wants, domineering. A diva. Sleeping with BILLY. Not well liked by the rest of the company, except for THE GENERAL. Unsympathetic, struggling with her career.