Young People’s Theatre (YPT) invites applications for the position of Managing Director.
Young People’s Theatre, now in it’s 46th season, is Canada’s largest theatre for young audiences and currently produces and presents an 8-play season with an audience of up to 80,000+. Housed at a renovated, historical venue in Toronto, YPT works on a 468-seat Mainstage and a 115-seat Studio stage. Its operating budget is approximately $3.5 million. The work culture at YPT encourages ingenuity, team-work, and an atmosphere of learning. YPT’s artistic policy focuses on arts and education – in fact, learning is at the centre of everything we do.
With Artistic Director Allen MacInnis, the Managing Director is one half of a two-person team working
to achieve the artistic and educational objectives of the theatre, while ensuring YPT remains in a sound financial position. The Managing Director reports directly to the Board. Specific accountabilities include:
- Working with the Artistic Director and Board of Directors to develop policy and strategic planning objectives.
- Development of financial and budgeting strategies to maintain a sound financial base to support the theatre now and in the long term.
- Management of a 33-person staff.
- Working with Production, Development and Marketing Department Directors to encourage innovation, efficiency, and success.
- General management of the company and overseeing of its day-to-day operations.
- Preparation of funding applications and presentations, and acting as principal liaison with governments, agencies and other external organizations.
- Working with Board, volunteers, and project management to realize YPT’s long term building expansion plans.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Proven leadership ability.
- At least seven years experience in senior management in a mid to large-sized not-for-profit arts organization.
- Ability to translate artistic needs and values into institutional strategies and specific operating plans.
- Experience in working with and engaging a Board of Directors.
- A successful track record in strong fiscal management, marketing and development.
- Past experience in a capital campaign would be a definite asset.
In accordance with YPT’s policy of screening all adults involved in working with children, the applicant will be required to provide a resume and cover letter, undergo an interview process conducted by a minimum of two people, a reference check and, if offered employment, a Vulnerable Sector Screening Check. Offers of employment are conditional upon providing a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Screening Check and agreeing to abide by YPT’S Child Safety Code of Conduct.
Young People’s Theatre is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer and strongly supports and values diversity in the workplace. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome and individuals from equity-seeking groups are encouraged to apply. Interested parties should apply with cover letter and resumé, detailing all relevant experience to:
Managing Director Search
165 Front Street East
Toronto, ON M5A 3Z4
Applications must be received by 4:30PM, July 9th, 2012.
While we thank everyone who applies, only those selected for an interview will be contacted