Young People’s Theatre (YPT), now in it’s 47th season, is Canada’s largest theatre for young audiences and currently produces and presents an 8-play season with an audience of up to 80,000+. Housed at a renovated, historical venue in Toronto, YPT works on a 468-seat Mainstage and a 115-seat Studio stage. Its operating budget is approximately $3.5 million. The work culture at YPT encourages ingenuity, team-work, and an atmosphere of learning. YPT’s artistic policy focuses on arts and education – in fact, learning is at the centre of everything we do.
YPT is currently searching for a candidate to fill the position of Head of Props. The Head of Props will report to the Production Manager and Technical Director and will be responsible for building, sourcing, buying, borrowing, renting, and delivering all properties elements as required for all YPT productions and activities. This is a one season contract position (with the possibility for renewal) from mid-September 2012 to mid-May 2013.
- Manage prop department staffing, schedules, and budgets.
- Serve as the builder and buyer for the props department and/or supervise a designate builder or buyer.
- Work with Set and Prop Designers on YPT Productions. Provide advice and guidance regarding specific construction techniques, materials, finishes etc.
- Ensure flow of information between prop department, designers, technical director, stage management, and other production departments. Attend all production and staff meetings as required
- Instruct prop department staff in the proper use of shop tools and the appropriate safety equipment.
- Order, organize and maintain supplies, materials and tools in the shop.
- Maintain general cleanliness and safe working state of the shop.
- Maintain YPT stock props and co-ordinate any outside prop rentals.
- Assist other YPT departments with advice and technical aid.
- Other duties as assigned from time to time.
- Graduate of a recognized theatre program and a minimum of 3 years experience as a Head of Props, Props Builder or Props Buyer with a producing theatre company.
- Broad working knowledge of props construction techniques as they relate to materials (wood, plastic, fabric, paper, etc).
- Proficient computer skills with Word and Excel programs. Computer Graphics knowledge would be an asset.
- Experience with show costing, budget tracking, material purchasing, and equipment replacement.
- Experience in creating production schedules and managing shop staff.
- Strong interpersonal, collaborative and leadership abilities and ability to meet deadlines.
- A Valid Ontario Class G Driver’s license (or equivalent) is required.
- Experience in adhering to health and safety in the workplace.
In accordance with YPT’s policy of screening all adults involved in working with children, the applicant will be required to provide a resume and cover letter, undergo an interview by at least two people, a reference check and, if offered employment, a Vulnerable Sector Screening Check. Offers of employment are conditional upon providing a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Screening Check and agreeing to abide by YPT’S Child Safety Code of Conduct.
Young People’s Theatre is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer and strongly supports and values diversity in the workplace. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome and individuals from equity-seeking groups are encouraged to apply. Interested parties should apply with cover letter and resumé, detailing all relevant experience to:
Head of Props Search
Young People’s Theatre
165 Front Street East
Toronto, ON M5A 3Z4
Applications must be received no later than Monday August 6th, 2012 at 5:00pm EST.
While we thank everyone who applies, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.