Start Date: Immediately
The Technical Director is responsible for the planning, development, budgeting and control of all technical areas for Canadian Stage.
ABOUT Canadian Stage:
Founded in 1987 with the merger of CentreStage and Toronto Free Theatre, Canadian Stageis one of Canada’s leading not-for-profit contemporary theatre companies. Led by Artistic & General Director Matthew Jocelyn, Canadian Stage produces and showcases innovative theatre work from Canada and around the world, allowing its audience to encounter daring work guided by a strong directorial vision and a 21st century aesthetic. The company prides itself on presenting trans-disciplinary work and work in translation that pushes the boundaries of form and style. The company reinforces the presence of Canadian art and artists through work that reflects Toronto’s place within the international community. Canadian Stage has a long-standing commitment to education and enhancement programs for the public and investing in the art form by nurturing and developing theatre professionals while producing thought-provoking theatre and quality entertainment in Toronto, one of North America’s largest theatre centres. For more information, refer to canadianstage.com.
- Member of the Production Department;
- Reports directly to the Director of Production.
- Oversees completion of all technical elements of a production to Canadian Stage’s and designer’s satisfaction.
- Manages staff in all technical areas and venues.
- Manages scenic bid processes for budgeting purposes.
- Manages budgets for all scenic areas in consultation with the Director of Production.
- Reports to the Director of Production as to the status of the scenic budget at weekly department head meetings.
- Oversees season schedule for technical areas. Expedites productions within scheduled deadlines.
- Hires crew in consultation with the Director of Production.
- Communicates with designers, directors and stage management as necessary for troubleshooting and production continuity.
- Acts as a liaison with stage management for production notes, and for the smooth transition of set from shops to technical rehearsal.
- Maintains a production quality of the highest standard.
- Analyzes scripts for all technical elements.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Production.
- Minimum of five years professional experience as Technical Director.
- Minimum of three years professional experience with Union Stage Hands preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of structural and mechanical construction for the stage, both materials and techniques, including welding, rigging and painting.
- Product, material, pricing and logistics research skills.
- Ability to read and produce blueprints.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Thorough knowledge of hydraulics, pneumatics, and electrical systems.
- Knowledge of various Computer Aided Drafting platforms.
- Thorough knowledge of AUTOCAD
- Knowledge of QLAB.
- Strong personnel, scheduling and budgetary management skills.
- Moderate to thorough knowledge of video projection.
- Moderate to thorough knowledge of sound.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Working knowledge of current safety standards and the implementation of same.
- The ability to produce superior work with established production staff.
- An inexhaustible sense of humor.
- Superb organizational skills with the ability to work on multiple projects with tight deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills, integrity, high energy, creativity, a collaborative spirit, and the cultural sensitivity needed to work effectively in a diverse environment of artists, producers, creative and management teams.
- A passion for the performing arts and the desire to be part of a vibrant Canadian contemporary theatre company.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Full-time, year-round.
- Competitive salary.
- Excellent benefit package.
We thank all applicants in advance, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply in confidence with salary expectation by August 6, 2012:
Vladimir Vukovic, Director of Production
26 Berkeley Street
Toronto, ON M5A 2W3
PH 416-367-8243 ext. 227