Opera Atelier, Canada’s Baroque Theatre Company, is seeking a dynamic individual to join its team of arts professionals as the Director of Development.
Now is an exciting time to be a part of Opera Atelier. Since 1985, Opera Atelier has created period productions that would have been recognized and respected in their own time while providing a thrilling theatrical experience for modern audiences. Our aim is to bring together glorious music, costumes, singing and dancing in dynamic theatrical productions that will ravish your senses.
With a glowing reputation abroad (Versailles, London’s BBC Proms, Glimmerglass, Japan, Korea) and here at home, Opera Atelier has become an integral part of the arts community in Toronto and Canada. We are proud to have shaped the careers of many young Canadian singers like Russell Braun, Phillip Addis, Colin Ainsworth and Measha Brueggergosman. For more information, visit www.operaatelier.com
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development will be responsible for generating $1.4M in contributed revenues from individuals, corporations and foundations. With a staff of two, the Director of Development will be responsible for the cultivation, solicitation, stewardship and renewal of all donors and sponsors (including the Major Gifts portfolio) and the management our main fundraising event, the Versailles Gala. In addition, this position will be responsible for other OA fundraising events and activities as required.
The successful candidate will be a professional with a minimum five years’ experience in fundraising, who has a sense of humour, boundless energy and enthusiasm, and a strong work ethic. The position requires someone who thrives on challenges, works well under pressure, is a good communicator, is a self-motivated team player, is well-organized and is an expert at multi-tasking with the ability to lead and motivate staff.
An interest in opera or the arts is desirable.
- Prepare annual development strategy for Opera Atelier.
- Develop and propose annual fundraising expense budgets and maintain expenses within pre-approved spending limits.
- Prepare annual fundraising targets and campaign efficiency reports.
- Establish and implement a moves management strategy for all individual donors including major gifts prospects.
- Identify and cultivate Corporate and Foundation Sponsorship prospects through research and with the assistance of the Fundraising Committee and Board of Directors.
- Management of the Development Committee and the Event Committee(s) and their activities.
- Prepare all Sponsorship proposals and packages.
- Ensure proper stewardship for all Opera Atelier donors.
- Act as a resource for any donor wishing to make a planned or endowment gift with an understanding of legislation pertaining to donations, gift planning vehicles and an ability to assist donors in applying it.
- Grow the Baroque Court program through solicitations from committee members, mailings and events.
- With the assistance of staff and Board members, plan and execute events for the Baroque Court and Friends of Opera Atelier.
- Manage and plan all direct mail and phone campaigns (Friends, Endowment, Corporate/Foundation Canvas Campaigns) by selecting donors to be mailed and creating all materials including brochures and letters.
- Manage and direct a staff team of two and volunteers.
- Work collaboratively with OA colleagues and volunteers including, but not limited to: artistic, production, facility operations, marketing.
- University degree or comparable work experience
- Minimum of five to seven years’ experience in fundraising
- Assertive but tactful
- Exceptional attention to detail and donor/sponsor fulfillment/stewardship
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in motivating and working with senior volunteers
- Excellent knowledge of all Microsoft Office applications, particularly Word and Excel
- Experience using fundraising software would be an asset
- Knowledge of the Toronto business community and Toronto “society”
- Previous experience with an arts organization
- An interest in opera
Please note that this position entails some work on evenings, weekends and holidays.
This is a full-time salaried position with excellent benefits. Opera Atelier embraces diversity and encourages all qualified applicants to apply.
The application deadline is Wednesday, August 9, 2012. Opera Atelier thanks, in advance, all applicants but only those considered for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Please respond to:
Patricia Barretto, Executive Director
157 King Street East, 4th Floor
Toronto, ON M5C 1G9
Subject line: Director of Development position