Job Status: Full-time with some flexibility and occasional evening/weekend work required.
Job Description: Cahoots Theatre Company
The General Manager, reporting directly to the Board of Directors, will work closely with the Artistic Director and the Cahoots team to fulfill the company’s mandate and help lead the company into an exciting new phase of development. The General Manager is responsible for the overall operation and quality control of the live theatre and other related activities of Cahoots Theatre
Company. The successful candidate will be a dedicated, self-motivated, and active team player; have a passion for the arts and a drive towards cultural equity; has a solid track record of successful arts administration in a small to mid-sized company; is prepared to enthusiastically manage the company through growth; and, has a deep interest in contributing to the ongoing success of Cahoots
You will have the opportunity to:
- Lead members of a dynamic team and work very closely with the Artistic Director and the Board of Directors to achieve the company’s mission of dedication to the creation and development of new works and producing “theatre in full colour”, as well as be part of an organization recognized for its commitment to diversity beyond ethnicity; be a participant in a wide variety of events and initiatives; and, have access to tickets to performances at Cahoots and partnering organizations.
- Develop policies and procedures as necessary for administrative areas, such as finance, communications, and marketing, specifically with regard to the company’s new phase of development
- Create, implement, and manage Cahoots’ budgetary and financial plan for all areas, including various productions
- With the Artistic Director, evaluate effectiveness of all strategic, financial, personnel, production, and contractual plans, and report results to the Board regularly
- Solicit and negotiate touring and presentation opportunities
- Create and implement Cahoots’ personnel plan and serve as Cahoots’ human resources supervisor
- Manage production traffic efficiently among all staff and independent contractors to ensure organizational effectiveness
- Manage and supervise all Cahoots contracts, including all artist contracts
- Provide training and mentorship for all staff members
- Seek ongoing professional development opportunities for self and staff members
- Maintain files and records of the company
- Develop and implement policies and procedures required for the maintenance and management of a rehearsal studio
- Manage the renovation of the facility
- Develop, manage, and oversee the implementation of all fundraising activities, including annual operating grant applications, other public sector funding, private sector funding, and fundraising related to the organization’s capital campaign
- Create, coordinate, and execute special donor events
- Research various funding opportunities, and prepare and submit funding proposals as required
Marketing and Communications
- Develop, manage, and oversee the implementation of Cahoots’ communication plans, including our newsletter as well as all marketing and publicity related to production activity
- All other management duties normally associated with the position of a general manager of a live theatre company.
Skills and Experiences:
- A solid track record of successful arts administration in a small to mid-sized company
- Experience with fundraising and familiarity with all levels of the public funding system
- Experience with the management of a facility would be an asset
- Excellent communications skills and experience with marketing and publicity
- Familiarity with artist contracts
- Grant writing experience
- Skills in budget management and financial planning
- Human resources experience and personnel management
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Strong ability to multi-task effectively
- An ability to be self-motivated
- An ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Strong computer skills
- Strong leadership abilities
Please send, via email only, a cover letter, resume, two professional references, and salary expectation, in confidence, to:
GM Hiring Committee, Cahoots Theatre Company
Application deadline is August 20, 2012.
Interviewing of qualified candidates will begin immediately.
While we thank all applicants, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted. Please no phone calls.
For more information about Cahoots, visit www.cahoots.ca.