Dates: week of September 4 – week of December 10 2012, part-time, 18-24 hours per week
Reporting to the Education & Audience Development Manager, this Intern position offers an excellent opportunity to gain knowledge about running enrichment programs which provide engaging educational experiences for diverse audience members including school groups and subscribers. The successful candidate will also learn about the overall artistic activities of a large theatre organization with an emphasis on marketing and communications initiatives.
A small honorarium will be provided upon completion of the internship.
Major Responsibilities Include:
- Assisting with strategizing community partnerships for the promotion of ongoing productions.
- Assisting with educational outreach to secondary and post-secondary school groups.
- Assisting with the coordination of C-Stage program that specifically targets the under-30 demographic.
- Assisting with the development and execution of production-specific enrichment such as preshow chats, talk backs, youth nights and educator preview nights.
- Maintaining and updating departmental resources and materials.
The Intern will have opportunities to participate in education and audience development program planning and visioning sessions and, where appropriate, to develop leadership skills in the implementation of initiatives.
The Canadian Stage Education and Audience Development Intern must commit to 18-24 hours per week. Schedule can be flexible.
Ideal Personal Qualities:
- Interest in traditional and original theatre education programming with an emphasis on audience engagement and development
- Passion for the performing arts and a working knowledge of Toronto’s professional theatre scene
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills including comfort speaking in front of audiences
- Strong organizational skills
- Full training is provided, but the successful candidate will at times work independently on assigned projects and therefore must be a self-starter
- Ability to work as part of a team
- High level of computer proficiency (MS Word, MS Excel, and internet research experience preferred)
- Experience in leadership roles and desire to improve leadership skills
- Previous experience in theatre, education, community work and/or audience development are assets
- Fluency is multiple languages is an asset
- Being enrolled in a course of study that involves interning at an arts organization is considered an asset but not required
- Professional development and networking opportunities
- Opportunities to give and receive feedback in a supportive and educational environment
- Progress reports and assistance with goal setting
- Free tickets to our 12/13 season
- Letter of reference
- Small honorarium
About Canadian Stage:
Founded in 1987 with the merger of CentreStage and Toronto Free Theatre, Canadian Stage is one of Canada’s leading not-for-profit contemporary theatre companies. Led by Artistic & General Director Matthew Jocelyn, Canadian Stage produces and showcases innovative theatre work from Canada and around the world, allowing its audience to encounter daring work guided by a strong directorial vision and a 21st century aesthetic. The company prides itself on presenting trans-disciplinary work and work in translation that pushes the boundaries of form and style. The company reinforces the presence of Canadian art and artists through work that reflects Toronto’s place within the international community. Canadian Stage has a long-standing commitment to education and enhancement programs for the public and investing in the art form by nurturing and developing theatre professionals while producing thought-provoking theatre and quality entertainment in Toronto, one of North America’s largest theatre centres. For more information, refer to canadianstage.com.
- Please submit cover letter, résumé and 3 (phone) references by Friday, August 17 at 5 PM by email only (attach documents in Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat).
- Attention: EDUCATION & AUDIENCE DEVELOPMENT INTERN Canadian Stage
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note in your cover letter where you saw this posting. We thank everyone who applies for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone inquiries please.
All applications are considered confidential. Canadian Stage is an equal opportunity employer.