Posting Date: Wednesday, August 22, 2012
Closing Date: Friday, September 7, 2012 by 5pm
Start Date: Monday, September 24, 2012
Number of Vacancies: 1
Through the generous assistance of the Metcalf Foundation’s Strategic Initiative program, Tarragon Theatre is seeking to fill the full-time entry level position of Development Officer. This newly created position will report directly to the Director of Development as we increase the capacity of Tarragon’s fundraising department. The ideal candidate is passionate about theatre and the creation of new work. They thrive in a fast paced, very liberal environment and are comfortable in a wide variety of social situations. We are looking for an individual who is excited to shape a new, significant position within the organization.
- A passion for building support for new work and Canadian artists.
- Post secondary degree/diploma and/or a minimum of two years experience related to theatre and development (arts management, event management and marketing and/or customer relations.)
- Warm demeanor, strong customer service skills and the professional presence necessary to interact with donors, senior volunteers and other stakeholders.
- Knowledge of the not-for-profit arts environment.
- Excellent at multi-tasking and time management; very organized and detail orientated.
- Strong communication skills (both written and oral) and an ability to convey immediacy and excitement in their communications.
- Superior administrative and problem-solving skills.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint with the ability to pick up new programs quickly.
- Impeccable work-ethic.
- Experience in Theatre Manager (or other data management system) with an understanding of list-pulling and management.
- Able to work evenings and weekends as required.
- A sense of humour.
- Overseeing all aspects of the membership campaign, including the management of processing, lists, volunteers and stewardship of donors.
- Ensuring the donor database is maintained and ensuring all notes are inputted and distributed quickly and accurately.
- Taking a lead in day-to-day prospecting (individuals, foundations, corporations – including research and outreach initiatives).
- Managing local corporate and business outreach projects (corporate campaign, local restaurant liaison).
- Following the foundation critical path and ensuring applications, acknowledgments and reports are submitted on time.
- Assisting in the planning and executing of the annual benefit including silent auction management and procurement.
- Assisting in the execution of special events including opening nights and donor events.
- Other duties as assigned.
This is an ideal opportunity for an up and coming theatre professional who is interested in developing key arts management and fundraising skills at one of Canada’s most loved arts organizations. Given the size and scope of Tarragon Theatre’s activities, the successful applicant will be an integral part of a small team. Passion and drive are essential.
Interested applicants should apply via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, mail submissions or faxes please. Applications should include a cover letter and resume. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. The deadline for applications is September 7, 2012.
Tarragon is one of Canada’s oldest and most respected mid-sized theatres and is a leader in the field of new Canadian plays. We are dedicated to discovering and mentoring artists who tell Canadian stories. Tarragon believes in equal opportunities in the arts for everyone. We welcome applications from candidates of diverse cultures and backgrounds.
For more information about the theatre, please visit our website at www.tarragontheatre.com.