“A Woman of No Importance”
By Oscar Wilde
Directed by Paul Hardy
PERFORMANCE DATES: January 25 – February 9, 2013
A modernist take on a classic piece! Oscar Wilde’s play paints a portrait of the opulent rich and, characteristically of Wilde, their ironic existential foils. Lord Illingworth is an improper unmarried English gentleman whose ambitions and fortune have found him in the company of the upper crust of the British country gentry. His young assistant is thrilled that the two will soon be travelling the world!! But everything is not as it seems….
- Lord Illingworth – mid 30’s. Confirmed bachelor, sophisticated gentleman, womanizer.
- Sir John Pontefract – mid 30’s and up. Lady Caroline’s well trained husband.
- Lord Alfred Rufford - mid 30’s and up. A gentleman of leisure, and debtor extraordinaire.
- Mr. Kelvil, M.P. - mid 30’s. Bible-thumping politician and social climber.
- The Ven. Archdeacon Daubeny, D.D. - late 40’s. A slightly daft preacher.
- Gerald Arbuthnot – 18. A headstrong young man, assistant to Lord Illingworth.
- Farquhar, the butler - any age. Barely competent help.
- Francis, a footman -any age. Exceptionally competent help.
- Lady Hunstanton - mid 30’s and up. The hostess; one cool classy lady.
- Lady Caroline Pontefract - mid 30’s and up. A witty and fun lady; close friend of Lady Hunstanton.
- Lady Stutfield - mid 30’s and up. A “charming” single lady.
- Mrs. Allonby - mid 30’s and up. Aristocratic, playful, fun, and a little cruel.
- Miss Hester Worsley – 18. An idealist young American; reluctant aristocrat.
- Alice, a maid - any age. Mrs Arbuthnot’s help.
- Mrs. Arbuthnot - mid 30’s. Gerald’s mother, a pious and strong willed woman.
- Tuesday, October 9th 6:00 – 10:00 pm
- Wednesday, October 10th 6:00 – 10:00 pm
- Thursday, October 11th 6:00 – 10:00 pm
- Callbacks: Mon. Oct 22 and Tue. Oct 23, 6:00 – 10:00 pm
Please prepare a contemporary comedic 2-minute monologue and be prepared to read from the script.
Please bring photo & résumé to the audition. British accents will be used in the production.
TO BOOK AN AUDITION TIME, call 416-364-4170 (press 3) OR e-mail GoAlumnae@gmail.com
Auditions will be held at Alumnae Theatre, 70 Berkeley (SW corner of Berkeley and Adelaide; W of Parliament. Toronto)
This is a non-paying engagement.
~ Alumnae Theatre is a non-union company which welcomes all women who love theatre, and actively encourages ethnic diversity in its membership and casting ~