What is the Festival of Original Theatre (FOOT)?
Started in 1993, FOOT is an annual student-run conference and arts festival produced in conjunction between the Centre for Drama, Theatre and Performance Studies at the University of Toronto and the Centre’s Student Union. Its goal is to create a discussion between scholarship and praxis.
Why “Theatre & Technology”?
Social tools, expressive media, communicative objects—new technologies, increasingly, are relational devices that shape how we interact with our worlds. It is no surprise, then, that theatre and performance makers are taking up these same tools in the creation of their art. Yet, despite the fact that theatre has always eagerly employed new technologies, the nature of 21st century communications media is beginning to trouble how and why we create and watch live performance. Does a stage inhabited by projections of actors still constitute theatre? What does it mean for spectatorship if the tools of social media are included in a live event? How can performers extend themselves and their practice using new technologies? The 2013 Festival of Original Theatre explores questions like these and their attendant emergent practices. Subjects of inquiry might include:
- Virtuality and immediacy
- Digital design
- Online performance
- Video game performance
- Mixed-reality performance
- Technologized Spectator
- The performance of self in virtual space
- Intellectual property & digital ownership
- Theatre and convergence culture
- Alternate reality gaming
- Augmented reality
- Interactivity, participation and democracy
- The virtual body
- Digital dramaturgy
- Explorations of the historical antecedents of intermedial practice
What we’re looking for:
The intention of Festival is to include as many different opportunities for learning as possible, thus in addition to scholarly paper presentations, we’re interested in artists, scholars and enthusiasts to present:
- ‘poster’ presentations that demonstrate the tools of new media and along with compelling case studies;
- workshops that give participants the opportunity to learn how to create with new technologies;
- theatrical performances that demonstrate cutting edge creative work;
- theatrical, object and performance installations that can be installed in our gallery of new technology for the duration of the festival.
Who can apply:
While there will be an abundance of theatre scholars in attendance, the Festival is designed to be interdisciplinary. Students, faculty, artists, and enthusiasts are all invited to apply.
How to apply:
For performances, installations, workshops and others – Please send a 250-300 word description of what you’d like to do, along with short bios of the people involved (max 300 words for everyone). If you think it will help explain your work, please feel free to include up to 3 pieces of supplementary material (photos, video excerpts, etc.). All materials should be sent to email@example.com.
All applications must be received via email by midnight on October 31st, 2012.
Feel free to send us a message at: firstname.lastname@example.org. We might not write back right away, but we promise to get in touch with you as soon as we are able.