Young People’s Theatre (YPT), now in its 47th season, is Canada’s largest theatre for young audiences and currently produces and presents an 8-play season with an audience of up to 80,000+. Housed at a renovated, historical venue in Toronto, YPT works on a 468-seat Mainstage and a 115-seat Studio stage. Its operating budget is approximately $3.5 million. The work culture at YPT encourages ingenuity, team-work, and an atmosphere of learning. YPT’s artistic policy focuses on arts and education – in fact, learning is at the centre of everything we do.
YPT is currently searching for a candidate to fill the position of Drama School Coordinator. The Drama School Coordinator will report to the Artistic Director and the Manager of Education & Participation and will be the principal coordinator of our regular theatre arts education classes that introduce kids and youth to theatre and facilitate the development and practice of positive social skills. This is a full-time position commencing as soon as possible.
To manage the Drama School and its ancillary activities including:
- Planning, implementing and assessing all Drama School programming at Downtown, North York and Etobicoke sites, in collaboration with the Artistic Director.
- Coordinating an innovative arts education curriculum with vision, integrity and expertise.
- Marketing the Drama School in tandem with the Director of Marketing while acting as its principal public face.
- Scheduling, contracting, training and supervision of, and serving as a resource to, the Drama School staff.
- Managing the Drama School’s efforts to reduce accessibility barriers to YPT’s programs and activities through extensive scholarship opportunities.
- Working to ensure appropriate access and accommodation for students with a variety of physical, psychological, linguistic and social capacities.
- Managing the Drama School budget in tandem with the Manager of Education & Participation.
- Supervising the Drama School curriculum in collaboration with the Artistic Director, the Educational Services Director and YPT Arts Education Facilitators and Teachers.
- Collaborating with and supporting other Education & Participation activities as directed by the Manager of Education & Participation.
- A minimum of three years of professional experience in diverse, community-based arts education, preferably with an emphasis on theatre school or arts education administration.
- Proven management and facilitation experience in creating and executing meaningful theatre-based arts education programming.
- Substantial experience serving the needs of, and working with, children, youth and the people who care for them.
- Ability to work with volunteers and interns who have varying levels of experience and goals.
- Experience with resource, project and budget management.
- Computer literacy: MS Excel, Word, Outlook, database management.
In accordance with YPT’s policy of screening all adults involved in working with children, the applicant will be required to provide a resume and cover letter, undergo an interview by at least two people, a reference check and, if offered employment, a Vulnerable Sector Screening Check. Offers of employment are conditional upon providing a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Screening Check and agreeing to abide by YPT’S Child Safety Code of Conduct.
Young People’s Theatre is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer and strongly supports and values diversity in the workplace. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome and individuals from equity-seeking groups are encouraged to apply.
Interested parties should apply with cover letter and resumé, detailing all relevant experience, along with salary expectations to:
Drama School Coordinator Search
165 Front Street East
Toronto, ON M5A 3Z4
Applications must be received by Monday, November 12th, 2012.
While we thank everyone who applies, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.