This Award was initiated in celebration of PACT’s 30th anniversary in 2006-2007 and named in honour of Mallory Gilbert, who was Tarragon Theatre’s General Manager for 34 years and one of the founders and Past President of PACT. Supported by the PACT Communications Centre (PCC) and by Tarragon Theatre, theannual Mallory Gilbert Leadership Award celebrates and recognizes outstanding leadership within the CanadianTheatre community.
Mallory Gilbert, the Award’s namesake, is one of Canada’s most respected arts managers. In addition to hersuccessful 34-year tenure at Toronto’s Tarragon Theatre, she has served on numerous local and nationalboards of directors and advisory boards. Ms. Gilbert served on PACT’s Board for 20 years (as PACT President1989-1993), and she was the recipient of PACT Honourary Life Membership in 2005. By mentoring countlessaspiring arts administrators during the course of her career, she has shaped the careers of many of Canada’s theatre leaders and encouraged the creation of exciting new theatre ventures.
All Mallory Gilbert Leadership Award nominations will be reviewed by a national Selection Panel, and thepresentation of the annual Mallory Gilbert Leadership Award will be made at the 2009 PACT Conference in Montreal.
2009 AWARD TIMELINE
- 17 February, 2009 – Public call for nominations is issued
- 26 March, 2009 – Deadline for submission of nominations
- 28-31 May, 2009 – Award announcement and presentation at PACT Conference in Montreal
The Mallory Gilbert Leadership Award of $5000 annually celebrates and recognizes an individual who hasdemonstrated outstanding leadership within the Canadian theatre community. The recipient is encouraged to usethis Award for personal or professional development purposes.
It also includes a $1000 portion presented to a protégé chosen by the Award winner, underlining the importance of skills and knowledge transmission in leadership building.
SELECTION COMMITTEE AND PROCESS
The Mallory Gilbert Leadership Award Selection Panel may be composed of PACT Honourary Life Members,respected leaders of Canada’s national theatre community and past recipients of the Mallory Gilbert LeadershipAward. The 2009 Selection Panel is Mallory Gilbert, Jenny Munday, Cherry Karpyshin with further panelists tobe announced.
The Selection Panel will review all nominations and select one winner, judging nominations against the eligibilityrequirements specified below. At its discretion, the Selection Panel may choose to grant no award or multipleawards in one year. All Selection Panel deliberations are strictly confidential. The 2009 award recipient will benamed at the annual PACT Conference, and should be able to attend the award presentation in person.
NOMINEE ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
Nominees should be Canadian professional theatre community leaders with direct leadership and decision-making experience. They should:
- Display consistent, significant and valuable administrative or creative leadership
- Be respected by peers for leading, growing, or changing an organization or initiative
- Be recognized for positive contributions to the development of Canadian theatre, such as community involvement, mentorship, artistic excellence, or advocacy
- Exhibit commitment to inspiring and generating passion in others
In addition, Selection Panel deliberations will be guided by the nominee’s overall impact on other individuals and organizations in the theatre community. Nominations may be kept on file for consideration in future years. Current PACT and PCC Board members, Selection Panel members, PACT and Tarragon Theatre staff are noteligible to be nominated for this award.
NOMINATION SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
Nomination packages must be submitted in English and include the following:
- A nomination form (please go to www.pact.ca to download the form)
- A letter of introduction (maximum two pages)
- State your relationship to the nominee
- Identify why the nominee should be considered for this award
- Cite specific examples of the nominee’s leadership in the theatre community
- Nominee’s current curriculum vitae or equivalent
- Maximum of two additional letters of support (maximum one page each)
Please submit complete nomination packages by mail to:
Selection Panel, Mallory Gilbert Leadership Award
c/o PACT Communications Centre
215 Spadina Avenue, Suite 555
Toronto, ON M5T 2C7
The deadline to submit nominations is 26 March, 2009. All materials must be submitted on single-sided 8.5” x 11” white paper suitable for photocopying. For more information, please contact Executive Director Lucy White, 416.595.6455 x11 / email@example.com