Attention Artists, Craftspeople and Designer/Makers Weekend
Outdoor Exhibition Opportunities — September 24 – October 31, 2010
Artscape is currently accepting submissions from visual artists, craftspeople and designer/makers who wish to participate in the Distillery Art Market, taking place September 24 through October 31, 2010.
The Distillery Art Market will feature 30+ exhibitors in various outdoor spaces at The Distillery Historic District over the course of a series of six weekends starting September 24, 2010. The Distillery Art Market is a pilot project born out of a collaboration between Artscape and The Distillery Historic District to produce a creator-to-market opportunity for Toronto-based artists, craftspeople and designer/makers. The pilot project will take place for six consecutive weeks until the final market weekend of October 29, 2010.
Applicants can choose to participate in one weekend or a series of weekends for the Distillery Art Market’s duration. Artists, craftspeople and designer/makers have the opportunity to utilize provided Art Carts (6’ x 3.5’ or 8’ x 3.5’ cart sizes, allocated on a first-come, first-served basis by jury approval) or a 10’ x 10’ booth space (for which they need to supply their own booth structure). Participants in the Distillery Art Market will be selected by a professional jury with consideration to diversity of medium and quality of work being sold. Jewellery artists will not be considered at this time due to the abundant representation of jewellery artists shown at shops on-site. Artscape will assess feedback from participants at the end of the pilot project to determine the viability of future Distillery Art Markets that are being considered to begin in the Spring/Summer of 2011.
The Distillery Historic District has been labeled as a “must-visit” location by the New York Times, Frommer’s, Toronto Life and The Globe and Mail. The 13-acre arts and entertainment district comprises more than 40 heritage buildings and 10 streets and is the largest collection of Victorian era industrial architecture in North America. The Distillery Historic District attracts between 2,000 – 5,000 tourists and Torontonians each weekend –providing a fantastic opportunity for creators to sell their work, expand their contact list and network with other creators in a completely unique outdoor exhibition environment. Visitors to The Distillery Historic District are typically urban professionals and families with mid-high average household income.
- A Friday September 24 to Sunday September 26, 2010 11am to 6pm
- B Friday October 1 to Sunday October 3, 2010 11am to 6pm
- C Friday October 8 to Sunday October 10, 2010 11am to 6pm
- D Friday October 15 to Sunday October 17, 2010 11am to 6pm
- E Friday October 22 to Sunday October 24, 2010 11am to 6pm
- F Friday October 29 to Sunday October 31, 2010 11am to 6pm
The Distillery Historic District, 55 Mill Street, Toronto, Ontario, Parliament Street and Front Street East.
The required application form can be found at www.distilleryartmarket.ca
Artists, craftspeople and designer/makers are asked to submit the following:
- 2010 Distillery Art Market Artist Application Form including a 50 word Artist Biography. Completed and signed.
- Documentation of Recent Work. Submit a minimum of three images and no more than seven images of recent work (300 dpi) that are representative of the work you will be exhibiting in the show. The following formats are acceptable CD of JPEG Images or email submission of JPEG Images. Please include an image list that provides title, date, medium and dimensions of each image.
- Participation Fee
- $100.00 for each individual weekend
- $400.00 for a six weekend pack (a savings of 33% – six weekends for the price of four).
- Should your submission not be selected, your full participation fee will be returned to you along with your support materials.
- A Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope. All support materials of selected artists will be held by Artscape until the completion of the Distillery Art Market for the purpose of event promotion and/or media. Materials will not be mailed to applicants who do not provide a self-addressed stamped envelope.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE + SELECTION RESULTS
Deadline: Thursday, August 26, 2010, 4pm. Results emailed by Friday, September 3, 2010
Subject: Distillery Art Market Artscape
Mail or Drop-Off in Person:
171 East Liberty Street, Suite 224,
Toronto, Ontario M6K 3P6
Attn: Distillery Art Market
THE REQUIRED ARTIST APPLICATION FORM CAN BE FOUND AT www.distilleryartmarket.ca.
For questions regarding the Distillery Art Market, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Distillery Art Market is a collaboration between Artscape and The Distillery Historic District
Artscape is a not-for-profit, urban development organization that revitalizes buildings, neighbourhoods, and cities through the arts.
Artscape projects provide affordable space for creativity while generating positive cultural, economic, social, and environmental impact.
For more information on Artscape, visit www.torontoartscape.on.ca