Full-time position available for an ASSOCIATE PRODUCER (start date January 3, 2012)
Soulpepper is an artist-founded, classical repertory company with a three-tiered mandate to present vital Canadian interpretations of history’s great stories, to train the next generation of theatre artists and to enrich and inspire youth through mentorship and access. Since its inception in 1998, Soulpepper has built:
- A 12 month season of more than 600 performances
- A passionate audience of over 100,000 each year
- An artistic ensemble of 150 established and emerging theatre artists
- A paid residency program for Canadian theatre artists
- A robust portfolio of youth programs, reaching over 8,500 youth annually
- A 46,000 square foot state-of-the-art performing arts facility – the Young Centre for the Performing Arts – which anchors Toronto’s Distillery District
Soulpepper is proud to be North America’s only year-round classical repertory company, a prominent Canadian
producer of original work from existing sources, a leading employer of artists in the City of Toronto and a partner in neighborhood education initiatives.
The organization resides in our own permanent facility, the Young Centre for the Performing Arts, and we will
continue to grow our programming and education and outreach activities. Soulpepper is also the managing partner of the Young Centre and is responsible for all Young Centre programming activities.
Reporting to the Producer, the Associate Producer assists with management of the daily artistic operations of
Soulpepper and the Young Centre for the Performing Arts including management of artistic projects and festivals, communication, and audition coordination.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Acts as primary liaison between Soulpepeper and the Young Centre and its resident and contract artists
- Manages projects and events for Soulpepper’s artistic activity including productions, workshops, touring initiatives, and Associate Artist activities
- Manages projects and events for the Young Centre’s programming initiatives including festivals, presentations, incubation, outreach, and Resident Artist activities
- Oversees non resident artist immigration processes
- Collaborates with the Development Department for all fundraising events (including corporate and individual donor events)
- Maintains positive and effective relationship with Canadian Actors Equity Association as primary liaison
- Supervises audition processes, including liaising with the creative team, scheduling and monitoring
- Ensures accurate and timely communication with individual productions/events by ongoing communication with the stage management teams/site coordinators/casual staff and supporting their needs
- Participates in selection of and supervises programming interns and assistants, including developing work plans and proving ongoing supervision, direction, and feedback
- Contributes to the overall success of Soulpepper and the Young Centre by accomplishing related results as needed
The successful candidate will have:
- Understanding of and familiarization with Canadian Actors’ Equity Association and the Canadian Theatre Agreement
- Understanding of not-for-profits arts organizations and theatre practices
- A high degree of professionalism and customer service skills
- Strong leadership, decision-making, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent planning, organizational, time-management and team building skills
- Strong interpersonal and oral/written communication skills
- Self-starter, detail oriented, flexible
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment with multiple deadlines
- A passion for the performing arts
- Post-secondary degree in arts administration or an equivalent combination of education and professional experience
- 5 years related experience in a performing arts organization
The Associate Producer role represents an opportunity to join a creative and dynamic performing arts organization.
The compensation package will include an annual salary commensurate with experience, and comprehensive
HOW TO APPLY
Only candidates with legal authorization to work in Canada will be considered. Soulpepper is an equal opportunity employer and invites all applicants with proper credentials to apply for the position. Soulpepper thanks all candidates for their interest however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Please send résumé and cover letter (including salary expectations) detailing how you can contribute to these
dynamic not-for-profit arts organizations by no later than November 23, 2011
Please quote AP11 on the subject line when applying by email.
To: Search Committee – Associate Producer
Soulpepper Theatre Company
55 Mill St, Building 49, Toronto ON M5A 3C4