Highlands Summer Festival is searching for an ideal candidate to serve as General Manager and Development Co-ordinator for the not-for-profit theatre company based in Haliburton, Ontario. This is a 2/3 full-time position with some full-time responsibilities during the year.
The successful candidate will have a background in performing arts management, with successful fund-raising experience, including grant writing and donor management and growth. A strong financial background would be valuable along with a high level of computer and organizational skills. The position involves providing administrative support for the artistic functions of the theatre company.
The deadline for accepting applications is January 6, 2014.
Job description for General Manager and Development Co-ordinator
A broader description of the position of General Manager & Development Co-ordinator includes:
Reports to: Board of directors
This is a three year contract position, based on an average of 25 hours per week. There will be times when the GM will be expected to be involved on a full time basis and other times of the year when minimal activity will be required. A detailed calendar of expectations will be prepared in conjunction with the successful candidate. The position may be expanded to full time depending on the availability of resources.
The successful candidate will be hired as an independent contractor, working from a home office, but available for onsite work in Haliburton County.
The successful candidate will:
- be familiar with the performing arts especially not for profit theatre groups
- have proven excellent oral and written communication skills
- possess a high level of computer and organizational skills
- demonstrate or have a successful track record of fundraising experience, including grant writing and donor cultivation
An Arts Administration background would be desirable.
Manage and sustain the fiscal framework of the summer theatre program including:
- participate in the development of the annual budget with the business manager, executive producer, artistic producer and the board
- audit ongoing expenditures
- assist the executive producer and business manager with budget management
Research funding opportunities and prepare grant applications for government and other funding sources
Manage patron development and expansion
- develop and implement programs to encourage increased attendance
- develop and implement programs of patron recognition
Manage donor recruitment and appreciation
- develop and implement programs to encourage increased donor activity, increasing the amount existing donors give and expanding the pool of donors
- develop and implement programs of donor recognition
Oversee the tax receipt process on an annual basis
Recruit, develop & maintain (local) corporate sponsorship
Market the summer theatre festival by
- Developing the Christmas promotional material
- Developing and purchasing advertising for the season
- in the latter part of the contract, manage the creation of the season printed program including developing content, selling advertising and working with designers
Oversee the management of the Box Office operation
Develop and support programs to maintain an active volunteer base
- create programs of recruitment, recognition and retention that recognize the value volunteers bring to the operation of the theatre company
Develop and implement a social media strategy for the Festival on these platforms:
- Other social media that will be developed tomorrow or the next day
Assist in the development of the new Early Stages youth program
Report to the board at each general meeting bringing issues of concern to the board’s attention
Assist with the Artistic Producer and Executive producers in managing details of the season
This position is funded through a grant from the Ontario Trillium Foundation.
Application can be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:
Highlands Summer Festival,
General Manager Position,
Deadline: Monday, January 6, 2014