Theatre Ontario‘s Maggie Bassett Award is presented annually to an individual who, over a number of years, has made a significant, sustained, and unselfish contribution to the development of theatre in Ontario.
The four main criteria for the award are:
- A significant contribution – the nominee’s impact is measurable provincially;
- A sustained contribution – the nominee has a proven body of work and/or has made a continuous effort over a period of more than ten years;
- An unselfish contribution – the nominee’s history encompasses work and activity both paid and voluntary;
- Involvement – the nominee has been involved in more than one area of theatre (professional, community, educational.)
The Maggie Bassett Award is a stunning bronze statuette entitled “COURAGE”, designed by Rita Tuckett, and sculpted by Ronald Thom. The award is sponsored by Alumnae Theatre and presented at Theatre Ontario’s Annual Meeting.
As Theatre Ontario’s first employee, the late Maggie Bassett created a solid foundation for the organization by launching the Professional Theatre Training Program, the Community Theatre Training Program, the Summer Courses, and the newsletter. Her love for the arts held no barriers between community, professional, or educational theatre. Maggie was also a fine director and actress and performed at Tarragon Theatre, Huron County Playhouse, and at the Alumnae Theatre. For many years, she attended all regional festivals. She was known for her warmth, humour, sparkle, and the sincere encouragement she bestowed on those around her. This award is for dedication to theatre in Ontario beyond the call of duty.
Past recipients of the award are Ken Watts, Elsie Thomson, Jean Roberts, Herbert Whittaker, Heather McCallum, Herman Voaden, Dennis Sweeting, Jack Medhurst, Jack Blacklock, Sandy Black, Patricia Beharriell, Wilf Pegg, Virginia Reh, Lib Spry, Wayne Fairhead, Richard Howard, Dusty Miller, Kay McKie, Beth McMaster, Sandra Tulloch, Jeff Burke, James Alexander, Ron Cameron-Lewis, Angela Rebeiro, Kim Renders, Yvette Nolan, Alex Mustakas, Don Fleckser, Diana Belshaw, Dave Carley, and Tom Mackan.
2014 Maggie Bassett Award
- Download the Maggie Bassett Award guidelines (PDF)
- Download the Maggie Bassett Award nomination form (PDF)
Call for nominations for the 2014 award: December 1, 2013
Deadline for nominations for the 2014 award: February 28, 2014
Presentation of the 2014 award: TBA
For more information about the Maggie Bassett Award, contact Brandon Moore, Communications Coordinator, at email@example.com or 416.408.4556 x.13