TIFF, a vibrant not-for-profit arts organization, is accepting applications for the full-time position of:
TIFF is dedicated to presenting the best of international and Canadian cinema to film lovers in our home TIFF Bell Lightbox. Our aim is to become a creative, community and global leader, and one of the world’s premiere organizations in the discovery and understanding of film. We are seeking a highly motivated individual who wants to be apart of our ever growing team, and be part of Toronto’s cultural history.
Reporting to the Director, Patron Services, the Manager, Cinemas is responsible for the Front-of-House operations at TIFF Bell Lightbox. This position includes cinema, coat check, information services and gallery operations management. This position is an integral part of the TIFF Patron Services management team.
- Recruitment, training and supervision of full-time, part-time and seasonal Cinemas team members.
- Maintain a high standard of visitor servicing, responding to guest issues in a timely and appropriate manner in keeping with established Visitor Experience protocol.
- Perform regular Manager-on-Duty shifts at programmes, special events and other activities in TIFF Bell Lightbox and for the annual Festival.
- Liaise with other TIFF departments, including Programming, Event Services, Volunteers and Membership, to provide exceptional internal and external customer service.
- Liaise with Exhibitions to establish staffing and procedural protocols which maintain the integrity of our collections and touring exhibitions.
- Co-ordinate operations with third party events and partner festivals.
- Prepare and work within the annual Cinemas operating budget.
- Implement safety and security policies and procedures for TIFF Bell Lightbox as they relate to venue operation, anti-piracy measures and talent management; activate approved TIFF Emergency Chain of Communication policies and procedures.
- Coordinate front-line staff for effective line-up management and traffic flow through TIFF Bell Lightbox.
- Represent Cinemas Management interests at relevant meetings.
- Maintain accurate Cinemas management operating manuals, files and archival materials.
- Provide regular updates to Cinemas staff on all TIFF Bell Lightbox programming information, policies and procedures.
- Provide timely reporting to appropriate stakeholders including written operational, post-mortem, staff and incident reports.
- Ensure marketing, programming, sponsorship and membership signage initiatives are executed correctly in TIFF Bell Lightbox.
- Capital equipment maintenance and renewal as applicable.
- Request, supervise and train interns and volunteers where necessary.
- Other duties as required.
Start Date: February, 2014
- Post secondary education (arts management or hospitality preferred) or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years previous experience in senior level front-of house management at a similar scale operation (event management and gallery operations experience are an asset).
- Understanding and commitment to superior guest servicing.
- Demonstrated leadership and supervisory abilities along with strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated project and time management skills with experience in systems implementation.
- Well-developed administrative, computer, analytical, sales, and organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and manage concurrent duties.
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills.
- Exceptional people and performance management skills.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines and react quickly to change in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to develop strong relationships to achieve organizational goals and standards.
- Dynamic and outgoing personality with sound judgment and discretion.
- Professional manner and “can-do” attitude, with the ability to think on your feet and adapt quickly to change.
- Excellent attention to budget parameters, timelines and objectives.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment as well as the ability to take and give direction effectively.
- Management experience in a unionized environment is an asset.
- CPR, First Aid and SmartServe training are an asset.
- Interest in film, non-profits, arts and culture is considered an asset.
- Ability to work evenings, Saturdays and Sundays on a weekly basis.
Please submit cover letter, résumé and the names and phone numbers of three references attached as a PDF or Word document (we do not accept Cloud hosting or File Sharing programs), by 5pm on Friday, January 17th, 2014 BY EMAIL ONLY to the attention of Hiring Committee: Manager, Cinemas
TIFF Email: firstname.lastname@example.org *Please note the position in the subject line*
Please note in your cover letter where you saw this job posting.
We thank everyone who applies for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview are contacted.
No telephone or walk-in inquiries please. All applications are considered confidential.
TIFF is an equal opportunity employer.
TIFF is a charitable, not-for-profit cultural organization whose mission is to transform the way people see the world, through film. Its vision is to lead the world in creative and cultural discovery through the moving image.