- Minimum 5 hours per week Feb 1 – May 1
- Minimum 10-15 hours per week May 1 – Aug 31
- Increased hours during the Festival (Aug 7 – 17)
Basis of engagement: Contract Feb 1, 4012 – August 31, 2014
Fee range: $2000
Engagement conditions: Independent Contractor
SummerWorks’ standard Terms and Conditions of Engagement form part of this job description.
About the SummerWorks Leadership Intensive Program (S.L.I.P.)
S.L.I.P, going into its sixth year, is a 12-day intensive program coinciding with the SummerWorks Festival that places a specific focus on the business of the arts. The program, which is designed for young artists and arts workers transitioning into a professional artistic working environment, provides participants with the kinds of tools needed to understand how to approach and understand the business side of professional arts practices. S.L.I.P is divided into 3 main parts – workshops, mentorships and watching performance.
The SummerWorks Performance Festival is an 11-day festival in Toronto, Ontario, spanning theatre, dance, live art and music that enables approximately 40 – 50 independent productions per year to be staged. SummerWorks supports work that has a clear artistic vision and explores a specific theatrical aesthetic. It encourages questioning, and creative exploration while insisting on accessibility, integrity and professionalism.
We encourage dedicated, professional artists to explore new territory and take artistic risks. Young emerging artists can work alongside other more established artists and be exposed to a broad audience. We look to introduce professional artists from diverse communities to each other and be inspired by our similarities and differences.
Our current program includes a Mainstage Theatre Series, a National Series, Live Art Series, Music Series, Musical Works in Concert, Youth Programming, the SummerWorks Leadership Intensive Program, the Performance Bar and Shop Talks. Please visit our website at summerworks.ca for more information about the Festival.
S.L.I.P. Director: Duties
The S.L.I.P. Director is an important member of the Programming team. S/he is responsible for coordinating and managing the SummerWorks Leadership Intensive Program. Responsibilities include managing the application process, interviewing potential participants, facilitating and evolving the program curriculum, programming activities, guests and program mentors and selecting/working with S.L.I.P facilitators.
The S.L.I.P. Director reports to the General Manager.
The S.L.I.P. Director:
- Contacts performance schools and performing arts companies (Canada wide) to educate and inform institutions about the program
- Creates a call for submissions for applicants to the program
- Shortlists applicants and schedules interviews
- Interviews applicants and selects candidates (in consultation with the Artistic Producer and the General Manager)
- Assists the General Manager and Artistic Producer in creating sponsorship applications and reports for the program
- Develops new programming details for S.L.I.P in conjunction with the Artistic Producer
- Liaises with S.L.I.P facilitators and guest artists
- Helps organize festival events on an as-needed basis
- Gathers information from S.L.I.P participants for the website and Festival brochure
- Works with the General Manager to select and contract S.L.I.P facilitators
- Brainstorms and researches potential future funding partnerships for the program
- Submits all files created and information gathered to the Festival at the end of the contract term in a clear and timely manner
- Creates documented procedures for the successful performance of the role and plans for succession if/ when applicable
- Assists in creating any final reports needed for sponsors/funders
- Manages program budget
S.L.I.P. Director: Person Specifications
It is essential that the S.L.I.P. Director has:
- High level organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and juggle competing demands
- An understanding of arts training programs and demonstrated ability to program an innovative curriculum focused on developing arts leadership qualities
- The ability to think big-picture while paying attention to detail
- High level oral and written communication skills
- Experience of project delivery
- Demonstrated initiative and an ability to problem solve
- Excellent computer skills
- A positive attitude and the ability to easily form and maintain relationships with colleagues and stakeholders
It is desirable that the S.L.I.P. Director has:
- Experience in developing and delivering arts-based professional development programs
- Knowledge of the performing arts and SummerWorks
- Experience in marketing, outreach and/or development
- Experience in managing project budgets
- An understanding of recruitment processes
For more information about this position, please contact Emi Forster, General Manager, on (416) 628 8216 or email@example.com
To apply for the position, please send:
- A curriculum vitae (CV) of no more than two pages;
- A cover letter of no more than one page that:
- Addresses why you would like to work for SummerWorks, and
- Illustrates how your skills, knowledge and experience match the duties and person specifications
Please ensure that your full contact details are included in your CV or cover letter.
Applications are accepted by email only to firstname.lastname@example.org. All attachments should be provided as PDFs.
The deadline is Thursday, January 16 at 5pm. Late applications will not be accepted. Interviews will be held the following week.
SummerWorks is committed to equality and diversity, both through our program of activities and as an employer. Our practices and procedures aim to reflect the varied needs, expectations and culture of all members of our community. We make every effort to ensure that no member of the community receives less favorable treatment in our recruitment process or when accessing our services on the grounds of gender, gender identity, disability, race, religion or belief, age or sexual orientation.
Contact Name: Emi Forster
Contact Email: email@example.com
Contact Number: 416 628 8216
Contact Address: SummerWorks Performance Festival
423-401 Richmond Street West
Toronto, ON. M5V 3A8