Dance Umbrella of Ontario (DUO) is a not-for-profit provider of management services to Ontario’s dance enterprises. For 25 years our professional administrators have been providing expertise, support and services including accounting, artistic/business planning, career consultation, grant preparation and filing, board administration and facilitation, budget development and management, fund-raising planning, and production management at affordable rates.
Elements of the job:
The Manager, Production & Administration will work with a roster of between three and six clients at any given time where the relationship and project(s) with each client will be unique. The clients range from established companies to emerging individual dance artists. The services that an Arts Manager provides to the clients include:
- Developing an artistic and organization strategic plan with the client;defining steps to implement the plan; monitoring the progress
- Developing and executing project plans for productions, and client programming
- Developing a strategy for funding from government and foundation sources; reviewing, editing and managing grant applications;
- Developing and managing overall budgets and specific project budgets; cash flow management; financial and other reporting to the client and the client’s Board of Directors; maintaining reporting systems for handling income and paying expenses
- Maintaining relations with arts funders and dance presenters
- Seeking out performing opportunities
- Other duties as assigned
The Manager, Production & Administration must be able to develop relationships with peers in other arts organizations, and work with them to define and develop long-range projects.
Dusk Dances will be one of the primary clients of the Manager, Production & Administration, which will constitute approximately 60% of the incumbent’s client workload. Founded in 1993 by dancer-choreographer Sylvie Bouchard, Dusk Dances is a curated outdoor dance festival of high quality choreographies in public parks at dusk. An artistic event with a vibrant social character, Dusk Dances presents a wide array of choreographic works, from contemporary to traditional, and from a variety of ethno-cultural traditions.
Working closely with the Festival Director, Sylvie Bouchard, in addition to the elements listed above, the Manager, Production & Administration will:
- Manage writing and submitting grant and foundation applications and final reports
- Manage the contracting process for all festival artists and vendors
- Manage the annual organizational budget; track expenses and revenues to the projections and provide reports to assist in decision making
- Liaise with Marketing and Communications staff to support the execution of the 2014 Festival Communications Campaign
- Provide support to prospect and secure in-kind donations
- Attend board meetings and provide support to the Board Secretary.
- One to three years experience in the performing arts sector
- A passion for the success of dance in Ontario and an entrepreneurial spirit
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to deal with a wide range of people in a wide range of situations
- An ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, set and balance priorities, manage time wisely, and meet deadlines
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills; strong editing skills
- Excellent attention to detail and deadline orientation
- An understanding of the principles of government and foundation funding to the arts
- An understanding of accounting principles, budgeting, and cash flow management
- An understanding of the principles of not-for-profit and charitable organizations
- Computer literacy, particularly in Word and Excel in a Mac environment
- Availability for evening and weekend work
- Competency in French is considered an asset
Applicants should email their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Manager, Production & Administration” in the subject line by 5:00 pm on Monday, January 27, 2014.
Position: Full time (37.5hours/week) one-year contract, with potential
for multi-year renewal.
Salary: TBD, commensurate with experience + benefits
Interviews: January 31 – February 3 & February 10-12, 2014.
Expected Start Date: February 18, 2014
We appreciate the interest of all applicants, however, we will only respond to those applicants being invited to interview.
DUO is an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring people who represent the communities in which we work; we welcome and encourage applications from all qualified candidates.