CALL FOR ACTOR SUBMISSIONS
Shakespeare in High Park 2014: As You Like It and Titus Andronicus
By William Shakespeare
As You Like It directed by Nigel Shawn Williams; Titus Andronicus directed by Keira Loughran
Canadian Stage’s 2014 Shakespeare in High Park production
Please submit a résumé and headshot to the address below by 5 p.m. on Friday, January 24, 2014.
Shakespeare in High Park rehearsal begins May 13, 2014, previews begin June 26, 2014, and closing is August 30, 2014 with a possible extension to September 7, 2014. All dates are subject to change.
As You Like It and Titus Andronicus will be rehearsed and presented in repertory; all actors play roles in both productions. Character age and gender may change based on cast suitability. We encourage submissions from artists of diverse cultures. Shakespeare in High Park is an exclusive 17 week contract and the pay scale for this venue is a CTA “F” house. It should be noted that these productions rehearse and perform outside in all safe weather conditions.
- Please include ACTRA or CAEA status, training, and the roles for which you wish to be considered in your submission.
- For email submissions, you must include your name and roles for which you wish to be considered in the subject line.
- For hard copy submissions, please staple your headshot to the back of your résumé.
We are casting the following roles:
Important: Please note the role(s) in each piece for which you wish to be considered.
As You Like It:
- Duke Senior – Male, 40s-50s. Living in Exile. Fair, honest, zest for life re-kindled by time in exile living in the forests of Arden.
- Oliver – Male, 20s-30s. Oliver: Older brother of Orlando, Sons of Sir Rowland De Boys.
- Orlando – Male, 20s-30s. Brother of Oliver.
- Silvius/Charles – Male, late 20s-30s. Silvius: a shepherd / Charles: a wrestler (this actor must be physically fit, and may appear topless).
- Corin/Hymen/Le Beau – Male, 20s-30s. Corin: a shepherd/Hymen: the God of Marriage/Le Beau: A Courtier (ability to sing and play guitar an asset).
- Jaques de Boys/William/Lord – Male, late teens-20s. Jaques: youngest son of Sir Rowland de Boys/William: a country farmer in love with Audrey (ability to sing and play guitar an asset).
- Rosalind – Female, 20s-30s. Daughter of the exiled duke.
- Celia – Female, late teens-20s. Daughter of Duke Frederick, cousin of Rosalind
- Phebe/Dennis – Female, late 20s. Phebe: a shepherdess / Dennis: servant to Oliver (ability to sing and play guitar an asset).
- Titus Andronicus – Male, 40s-50s. A lifelong soldier, Honourable, Guileless, Lethal, Experience with classical text and swordwork is helpful.
- Marcus Andronicus – Male, 40s-50s. Titus’ sibling. A scholar. An idealist.
- Saturninus – Male, 20s-30s. The eldest son of the late emperor. Entitled. Righteous. Arrogant and impulsive.
- Lucius – Male, late 20s-30s. Titus’ eldest remaining son. A soldier. Honourable. Has seen little of life other than war.
- Aaron – Male, 30s-40s. A Moor. Tamora’s slave and her lover. A force of chaos and destruction.
- Demetrius – Male, late teens-20s. Tamora’s son. Privileged. Former middle child.
- Chiron – Female, late teens-20s. Tamora’s youngest son. Looking to prove himself.
- Tamora – Female, 40s. Queen of the Goths, prisoner of Rome who becomes Empress when Saturninus becomes enamoured of her. Striking. Driven. Confident.
- Lavinia – Female, 20s. Titus’ only daughter. Privileged. Entitled. Betrothed to Bassianus.
Note: For all roles in Titus Andronicus, experience or interest in physical theatre is an asset.
We thank everyone for their interest; however, only those selected for an audition will be contacted. Auditions are taking place throughout January and February 2014.
Applications can be dropped off or mailed to:
SHAKESPEARE IN HIGH PARK ACTOR SUBMISSION
Joanne Williams, Artistic & Company Manager
26 Berkeley Street, Toronto, ON M5A 2W3
Applications can be e-mailed to:
Applications can be e-pitched on:
Deadline: Friday, January 24, 2014, 5 p.m.
No late submissions will be considered.
No phone calls please.