Canadian Stage is now accepting applications for the volunteer position of ARTISTIC INTERN.
- Option A: week of February 10 – July 7 (approx) – intern commits to 16 hours per week
- Option B week of February 10 – April 21 (approx) – intern commits to 32 hours per week
Please indicate in application which option you are interested in. We welcome proposals of
Reporting to the Artistic and Company Manager, this Intern position offers an excellent
opportunity to be exposed to the overall artistic activities of a large theatre organization,
including company management, casting, and season programming. The successful candidate
will gain knowledge and experience in running Professional Development programs which engage established theatre artists, and emerging voices.
A small honorarium will be provided upon completion of the internship.
- Assisting with company management, including assisting in opening night activities, Dora Award registration, accommodations and travel
- Assisting with the research and organization of prospective projects for upcoming seasons
- Maintaining and acquiring artistic resources and materials
- Assisting in the organization of actor and play submissions
- Assisting with the coordination of programs for professional artists (the RBC BASH! Director Development Program) and emerging artists (The GYM Emerging Artist Development Program)
- Documenting artistic activities, compiling feedback, and contributing to the reporting and evaluation of programs
Ideal Personal Qualities:
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Full training is provided, but the successful candidate will at times work independently on assigned projects and therefore must be a self-starter
- Ability to work as part of a team
- High level of computer proficiency (MS Outlook, Word, and Excel, and internet research experience preferred)
- Interest in theatre creation, producing, artistic development and casting
- Passion for the performing arts and a working knowledge of Toronto’s professional theatre scene
- Experience in leadership roles and desire to improve leadership skills
- Previous office administration experience and previous creation experience are assets
- Fluency is multiple languages is an asset
- Being enrolled in a course of study that involves interning at an arts organization is an asset but not required
- Where appropriate, the Intern will have opportunities to participate in artistic program planning and visioning sessions
- Interns will get a chance to see auditions and rehearsals when possible
- Professional development and networking opportunities
- Opportunities to give and receive feedback in a supportive and educational environment
- Access to staff meetings, and informational meetings with Canadian Stage staff and affiliated artists
- Complimentary tickets to our 14/15 season
- Letter of reference
About Canadian Stage:
Founded in 1987 with the merger of CentreStage and Toronto Free Theatre, Canadian Stage is
one of Canada’s leading not-for-profit contemporary theatre companies. Led by Artistic &
General Director Matthew Jocelyn, Canadian Stage produces and showcases innovative theatre
work from Canada and around the world, allowing its audience to encounter daring work guided by a strong directorial vision and a 21st century aesthetic. The company prides itself on
presenting trans-disciplinary work and work in translation that pushes the boundaries of form
and style. The company reinforces the presence of Canadian art and artists through work that
reflects Toronto’s place within the international community. Canadian Stage has a long-standing
commitment to education and enhancement programs for the public and investing in the art
form by nurturing and developing theatre professionals while producing thought-provoking
theatre and quality entertainment in Toronto, one of North America’s largest theatre centres.
For more information, refer to www.canadianstage.com.
Please submit cover letter, résumé and 3 (phone) references by Thursday January 30 at 5 PM by
email only (attach documents in Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat).
Manager of Volunteer Resources, Canadian Stage
Please note in your cover letter where you saw this posting. We thank everyone who applies for
their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone
inquiries please. All applications are considered confidential. Canadian Stage is an equal opportunity employer.