Established in 1979, The Theatre Centre is one of Canada’s leading incubators and presenters
of contemporary live performance. Located in the vibrant West Queen West neighbourhood, we
provide artists, from a range of disciplines with the space, funding, mentorship, profile, and
community they need to develop new work and new ways of working. In 2012 we began renovating the historic Carnegie Library building at 1115 Queen St. West, which we transformed into a vibrant, accessible, live-arts-hub.
We are currently seeking a Box Office & Front of House Manager to help us manage our
activity in this new space. Reporting to the General & Artistic Director and Managing Director,
this position will be responsible for administering and reconciling box office sales for all ticketed
events at The Theatre Centre, and for scheduling, training, and managing Box Office and Front
of House staff and volunteers, in collaboration with senior management. This position will begin as a full time, contract position, with the potential to become a salaried
position within six months.
- Creating welcoming interactions, with high standards of customer service, as the front line of the patron experience at The Theatre Centre;
- Ensuring accurate financial reconciliation of all ticketed events at The Theatre Centre, including rental client productions;
- Scheduling all Box Office and F.O.H. staff and volunteers;
- Providing, or supervising, all nightly house manager duties including ushering, audience management and volunteer coordination;
- Liaising with café operators to coordinate bar service needs for theatre patrons;
- Build show sales and process ticket orders through Ticketwise;
- Supervise day to day Box Office operations;
- Create and maintain Box Office and F.O.H. policies and procedures including audience safety, accessibility, fire and evacuation procedures and training of front of house staff;
- Ensure staff and volunteers have necessary training in policies and procedures related to audience and fire safety;
- Minimum of two years box office and/or house management experience in a professional performing arts venue;
- Strong leadership skills and staff supervisory experience in a customer service environment;
- A strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and other Office applications;
- Flexible availability, including day time and evening hours;
- A knowledge of, and passion for theatre and the performing arts.
- Experience in Ticketwise and Sumac is an asset.
How To Apply
Please submit a pdf of your cover letter and resume by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org by
5pm, Monday, March 3, 2014.
We thank everyone who applies for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview
will be contacted. No telephone or walk in inquiries will be accepted. All applications are
considered confidential. The Theatre Centre is an equal opportunity employer.