Tapestry is Canada’s creative and disruptive force in today’s renaissance of opera. From our
home in Toronto, we incubate and launch contemporary works with stories penned by such
luminaries as Anne Marie MacDonald, Colleen Murphy, and Alex Poch-Goldin and music by
We are looking for your help to build and implement a strategy of donor and fundraising development. great composers like Nic Gotham, Andrew Staniland, and Omar Daniel. We have turned the traditional opera paradigm of tuxes and gowns on its head in favor of packed houses of enlightened audiences looking for opera and music- theatre experiences to call their own! The shows are fresh and the venues are intimate and compelling.
The company has been described as new opera performed in new ways, and equitably we are looking for someone who is willing to evolve from traditional fundraising practice and embrace new and emerging fund raising methods. The money you would be raising goes directly to creating and producing new, awesomely powerful works of music theatre and opera. Your work would make you part of our cultural history and legacy!
Things you will do:
- Build strong relationships with a select number of influential donors, foundations, and government agencies and solicit donations and funding from them.
- Engage in and manage ongoing grant applications and research new granting opportunities.
- Work with marketing and artistic staff to drive fundraising strategy and contribute to and integrate fundraising into a cohesive organizational strategy. (Yes, what you say counts!)
For all of these activities, there’s execution and there’s strategy. We want people who can thrive doing both. Things that matter to us:
- You are looking for work you’ll love. We work a lot because we are crazy passionate about it, and we like each other.
- You have experience in fundraising, with a track record of success in individual giving.
- You are thoughtful, articulate, and sociable.
- You are analytical. Relationship development is well served by keeping detailed records and that’s important to us.
- You love hats, as in “wearing multiple”.
This is a market competitive, full-time job with benefits like health and dental.
Other benefits include (and may or may not be limited to):
- Office located in a beautiful heritage building in the Distillery Historic District.
- Your office space has 17 ft ceilings and 8-foot windows and overlooks a Victorian brick plaza.
- Flexibility with hours, working from home, and work apparel.
- You work in a distillery, with a brewery, sake maker, and artisan chocolate maker within steps of work!!
- Tickets to shows and a building filled with beautiful dancers, singers, and actors!
How to Apply
If this sounds like something that you could love, we’d like to hear from you.
Checklist: Please include as one complete pdf file, in this order:
- Cover letter (hint, research the company) on why you’d like to work for Tapestry and why you think you’d make an excellent candidate for this role.
- Up-to-date resume.
- If you are invited for an interview, please be prepared to provide two references that we can contact by phone and/or email and/or letter(s) of recommendation from previous employers or supervisors.
Email email@example.com with your pdf attachment and include Development Director Position in the subject line by March 15, 2014. We look forward to meeting you!