Tapestry is Canada’s creative and disruptive force in today’s renaissance of opera. From our
home in Toronto, we incubate and launch contemporary works with stories penned by such
luminaries as Anne Marie MacDonald, Colleen Murphy, and Alex Poch-Goldin and music by
great composers like Nic Gotham, Andrew Staniland, and Omar Daniel. We have turned the traditional opera paradigm of tuxes and gowns on its head in favor of packed houses of enlightened audiences looking for opera and music- theatre experiences to call their own! The shows are fresh and the venues are intimate and compelling
We are looking for a leader and collaborator to redefine and manage the business operations of Tapestry – someone who is ready to move beyond traditional operational practices, embracing new ways to deliver our leading edge musical experience under a sustainable and growing business model. As Managing Director, you will partner with the Artistic Director to drive the next phase of Tapestry’s cultural innovation and legacy!
Things you will do:
- Work closely with the Artistic Director to realize Tapestry’s mission and vision. There’s a definite yin and yang to this collaboration so it’s essential you see eye-to-eye on end goals. Mutual respect and trust will be key to success.
- Plan and run Tapestry’s business operations with a small team of full-time, contract, and volunteer resources. This includes everything from office/facilities management to financials, human resources, reporting to our Board of Directors and managing relationships with major funding agencies. It’s a hands-on role where you could be making strategic business decisions one moment and coordinating event logistics the next.
- Be the business face of Tapestry to the Board of Directors, artists, business partners, government funding agencies, corporate sponsors, and individual donors/subscribers.
- For all of these activities, there’s strategy and there’s execution. We want people who can thrive doing both.
Things that matter to us:
- You are looking for work you’ll love. We work a lot because we are crazy passionate about it, and we like each other.
- You have experience in business administration, preferably in the arts.
- You have a track record in successful management roles and you’re ready to truly “own” a role.
- Making Tapestry successful will be a stepping stone on your career path to management roles in larger organizations down the road.
- You are thoughtful, articulate, and sociable. We develop new opera. We perform new opera. We love to interact with our audiences and supporters since without them, we wouldn’t be here.
- You are analytical and a good problem solver. In a small organization, you expect the unexpected and deal with changing priorities seamlessly.
- You love hats, as in “wearing multiple”.
- You’re not afraid of stepping outside your comfort zone and taking on a challenge. We can’t promise the work will be easy but we can promise that it will be fun.
- You have a positive “can do” attitude. You are a master delegator of tasks more junior folks can accomplish but you’re ready to roll up your sleeves when the team needs another set of hands.
This is a market competitive, full-time job with benefits like health and dental coverage.
Other benefits include (and may or may not be limited to):
- Office located in a beautiful heritage building in the Distillery Historic District.
- Your office space has 17 ft ceilings and 8-foot windows and overlooks a Victorian brick plaza.
- Flexibility with hours, working from home, and work apparel.
- You work in a distillery, with a brewery, sake maker, and artisan chocolate maker within steps of work!!
- Tickets to shows and a building filled with beautiful dancers, singers, and actors!
How to Apply
If this sounds like something that you could love, we’d like to hear from you.
Checklist: Please include as one complete pdf file, in this order:
- Cover letter (hint, research the company) on why you’d like to work for Tapestry and why you think you’d make an excellent candidate for this role.
- Up-to-date resume.
- If you are invited for an interview, please be prepared to provide two references that we can contact by phone and/or email and/or letter(s) of recommendation from previous employers or supervisors.
Email email@example.com with your pdf attachment and include Managing Director Position in the subject line by March 15, 2014. We look forward to meeting you!