Title: Associate Producer
Anticipated hours: Minimum 10 hours total through March and April, 40 hours per week May 1 – Aug 31
Basis of engagement: Contract March 17 – August 31, 2014
Fee range: $6500
Engagement conditions: Independent Contractor
SummerWorks’ standard Terms and Conditions of Engagement form part of this job description.
The SummerWorks Performance Festival is an 11-day festival in Toronto, Ontario spanning theatre, dance, live art and music that enables approximately 40 – 50 independent productions per year to be staged. SummerWorks supports work that has a clear artistic vision and explores a specific theatrical aesthetic. It encourages risks, questions, and creative explorations while insisting on accessibility, integrity and professionalism.
We encourage dedicated, professional artists to explore new territory and take artistic risks. Young emerging artists can work alongside other more established artists and be exposed to a broad audience. We look to introduce professional artists from diverse communities to each other and be inspired by our similarities and differences.
Our current program includes a Mainstage Theatre Series, a National Series, Live Art Series, Music Series, Musical Works in Concert, Youth Programming, the SummerWorks Leadership Intensive Program, the Performance Bar and Shop Talks. Please visit our website at summerworks.ca for more information about the Festival.
Associate Producer: Duties
The Associate Producer is an important member of the programming team. S/he is responsible for the coordination of activities related to the production of the majority of the Festival, including the Mainstage and National Series, the Live Art Series and the Festival Hub including the Performance Bar.
The Associate Producer reports to the General Manager and Artistic Producer.
The Associate Producer’s duties include:
- Assisting the Artistic Producer and General Manager with production of the Festival
- Contributing to the curation of works for the 2014 Live Art Series
- Working closely with artists and the Artistic Producer to produce the Live Art Series
- Contributing to the planning and execution of SummerWorks events, including the Festival, fundraisers and special events
- Assisting with creating, editing and proof reading the Festival program, monthly newsletter and other marketing materials
- Liaising with all artists to gather technical and marketing information, and making travel and accommodation arrangements for National Series artists.
- Managing the Live Art series throughout the Festival, being present to respond to any other issues that may arise and to delegate responsibilities to interns
- Working with the General Manager and to ensure the distribution and collection of contracts and fees
- Liaising with the Volunteer Coordinator to secure volunteers where necessary
- Assisting with developing the timetable for daytime programming of the Performance Bar
- Overseeing the Box Office revenue for the Live Art Series, including liaising with Front of House to ensure collection of daily amounts and numbers.
- Scouting locations for Live Art work.
- Liaising with the Production Manager and technicians to organize the load in and load out of any technical equipment
- Acting as a dramaturgical consultant for Live Art works, including arranging outside eyes
- Submitting copies of all files created and information gathered to the Festival at the end of the contract term in a clear and timely manner
Associate Producer: Person Specifications
It is essential that the Associate Producer has:
- High level organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and juggle competing demands
- Experience of producing and project delivery, preferably in a performing arts environment
- In-depth knowledge of performance, particularly live art, theatre and dance
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to self-direct while ensuring information flows throughout the organization
- The ability to think big-picture while paying attention to detail
- The ability to think creatively and propose innovative ways to solve problems
- Excellent computer skills
- A positive attitude and the ability to easily form and maintain relationships with colleagues and stakeholders
It is desirable that the Associate Producer has:
- Knowledge of the goals and activities of SummerWorks
- Experience in managing project budgets
- An understanding of marketing and production
- Experience managing volunteers and interns
- A valid driver’s license
For more information about this position, please contact Emi Forster, General Manager, on (416) 628 8216 or email@example.com
To apply for the position, please send:
- A resume of no more than two pages;
- A cover letter of no more than two pages that:
- Addresses why you would like to work for SummerWorks, and
- Illustrates how your skills, knowledge and experience match the duties and person specifications
Please ensure that your full contact details are included.
Applications are accepted by email only to firstname.lastname@example.org. All attachments should be provided as PDFs.
The deadline is Thursday, March 6 at 5pm. Late applications will not be accepted. Interviews will be held the following week.
SummerWorks is committed to equality and diversity, both through our program of activities and as an employer. Our practices and procedures aim to reflect the varied needs, expectations and culture of all members of our community. We make every effort to ensure that no member of the community receives less favorable treatment in our recruitment process or when accessing our services on the grounds of gender, gender identity, disability, race, religion or belief, age or sexual orientation.