TIFF, a vibrant not-for-profit arts organization, is accepting applications for the seasonal contract part-time position of:
TIFF is dedicated to presenting the best of international and Canadian cinema to film lovers in our home TIFF Bell Lightbox (TBLB). Our aim is to become a creative, community and global leader, and one of the world’s premiere organizations in the discovery and understanding of film. We are seeking a highly motivated individual who wants to be a part of our ever growing team and be part of Toronto’s cultural history.
Usher, Cinemas provides customer service to TBLB visitors and answers building and programme related questions. Ushers engage in visitor service interactions, ensure visitor safety within TBLB, and clean cinemas and lobby areas. Ushers are responsible for collecting and retaining ticket stubs and enforcing TBLB policies.
The position of Usher, Cinemas is a contracted casual part-time position reporting to the Manager, Cinemas. As such, number and length of shifts are not guaranteed and will not be regular. Scheduling is dependent upon TBLB programming schedule, public attendance and the availability of year-round ushers.
- Maintain a high standard of entrance-to-exit visitor servicing, assisting with the resolution of guest issues in a timely and appropriate manner in keeping with established Visitor Experience protocol.
- Maintain knowledge of TIFF Bell Lightbox, its programming, events and facilities.
- Communicate instructions effectively to Visitors and Volunteers. Direct Visitors to appropriate Cinemas. Maintain orderly line-ups with the direction of your supervisor.
- Ensure that all Visitors present a ticket before entering ticket events or areas. Collect ticket stubs and clicker-counts when necessary.
- Maintain presentation standards of lobby areas before, during and after events. Clean cinemas between screenings, collecting any debris and cleaning any spills prior to the next screening.
- Assist with set-up and strike of stanchions, t-stands, furniture and tables throughout the building.
- Provide support to third party events and partner festivals as required.
- Taking in/returning items and reconciling cash receipts at Coat Check.
- Arrive on-time for scheduled shifts, wearing approved uniform and prepared for shift. Complete assigned tasks effectively and promptly.
- Ensure the safety of the Visitors to TIFF Bell Lightbox by acting as a Fire Marshall.
- Maintain proper radio etiquette and ensure the proper care of radio devices.
- Other duties as assigned.
Start Date: Monday, March 31st – August 4th, 2014
- Must be available straight through April 8th – 21st and May 14th – 18th, 2014.
- Must be adaptable to a flexible work schedule with an emphasis on evenings & weekends.
- Able to communicate fluently in English; knowledge of a second language is an asset.
- Previous work experience in a front of house role.
- Ability to juggle concurrent tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to stand for long periods and climb stairs.
- Ability to lift and carry items up to 35lbs.
- CPR, First Aid and SmartServe training are an asset.
- Interest in film, non-profits, arts and culture is considered an asset.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older at the time of their application.
- Available to attend a mandatory orientation session Monday, April 1st, 2014, time tbc.
Please submit cover letter, résumé and the names and phone numbers of three references attached as a PDF or Word document (we do not accept Cloud hosting or File Sharing programs), by 5pm on Thursday, March 13th, 2014 BY EMAIL ONLY to the attention of Hiring Committee: Usher, Cinemas
TIFF Email: firstname.lastname@example.org *Please note the position in the subject line*
Please note in your cover letter where you saw this job posting.
We thank everyone who applies for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview are contacted.
No telephone or walk-in inquiries please. All applications are considered confidential.
TIFF is an equal opportunity employer.
TIFF is a charitable, not-for-profit cultural organization whose mission is to transform the way people see the world, through film. Its vision is to lead the world in creative and cultural discovery through the moving image.