CALL FOR ARTISTS SUBMISSIONS (visual art – photo, video, painting, drawing, theatre, dance, music, poetry, performance, inter-disciplinary, media, gaming)
April 24, 2014
Venue: Holy Trinity Church (near the Eaton Centre)
About Connecting Circles
Connecting Circles is an immersive and interactive art event that explores autism, celebrates multiplicity in voices and strives to create a communal space of engagement where participants from divergent backgrounds can explore opportunities to engage and play. It is an event that is co-created by the Digital Dramaturgy Lab, Toronto.
Coinciding with International Autism Awareness Month (April), Connecting Circles is a gesture to raise community awareness about autism, demystify it, show that an autistic vision of the world can contribute to our spiritual/bodily awareness and explore commonality expressed through art created by autistic and non-autistic artists.
What Connecting Circles seeks….
Proposals for interactive and non-interactive artwork from any creative discipline (by both autistic and non-autistic artists) that
- Speaks to, explores, re-imagines or engages with the autistic experience
- Confronts misnomers surrounding autism
- That wishes to create communal experiences for autistic and non-autistic participants
It is important that participating artists keep in mind that this work will engage a variety of populations, and as such, should be aware of the needs of those audiences within a creative space.
All participation in this project is volunteer. Connecting Circles can provide some resources to assist the artist in realizing their work, as well as publicity for the event.
Application Procedure – Please include the following:
- Artist CV (related work by children and youth will be considered)
- Cover letter/project proposal (2 pages max.) addressing the following:
- A description of your project (incl. time frame, spatial requirements, level of interactivity)
- How it serves to address issues surrounding autism and creativity (i.e. repetition, looping, structuralism – abstraction and concreteness, comfort and touch, aural minimalism, communication patterns beyond verbal linearity etc.)
Application deadline March 20, 2014 – late applications will not be accepted, all applications are considered confidential.
Please submit a letter outlining your project and your CV by email as a single PDF to Michael Reinhart at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please mark the subject line: Connecting Circles Artist Submissions
If you have any further questions please contact event manager Michael Reinhart (email above)
About Connecting Circles: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Connecting-Circles-Autism/1447928288770782