Position: General Manager
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Start Date: May 2014
SALON Theatre Productions is a growing and dynamic professional theatre company of young actors. The mandate to create, promote and disseminate public events and performances that are rooted in Canadian art, heritage and history. SALON provides performance and professional development opportunities for young, talented artists, performers and managers. SALON seeks to make and present art in convivial circumstances. SALON’s primary current project is the Sir John A. Macdonald Bicentennial Commission. This theatrical-based organization is committed to commemorating, discussing and celebrating the life of Sir John A through the arts, education and tourism. Please visit http://www.sirjohna2015.ca for further information.
In collaboration with the Executive Producer, the General Manager works to achieve SALON’s goals and vision, while ensuring the company’s people and financial resources are used effectively. The work culture at SALON encourages energy, ingenuity, team-work, and creative and meaningful engagement between all stakeholders. A sense of humour is an asset!
Specific accountabilities include:
- Working with Executive Producer and Board to develop policy and implement strategic planning objectives
- Development of effective financial and budgeting strategies to support the company now and in the long term
- Preparation and implementation of budgets, financial statements, bookkeeping, payroll, banking, and financial oversight
- General management and oversight of day to day operation, including oversight of administrative, production, marketing and development, front of house/ticket sales, schools program
- Working with Board and staff to develop promotional, fundraising and audience development initiatives
- Preparation of funding applications and presentation; principal liaison with governments, agencies, corporate and private foundations
The ideal candidate will have:
- Proven leadership and general management ability
- A passion for the arts
- A successful track record in strong fiscal management, marketing and development
- An ability to multi-task and work with a team
- An understanding of the national theatre ecology
- A university/college degree/diploma or at least 2 years experience in senior management in a small not-for-profit arts organization
The deadline for applications is April 7, 2014. Interested applicants should email their cover letter, resume, salary expectations and the names and contact details of 2 references to:
Jim Garrard, Executive Producer
Salon Theatre Productions
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.